Hey dudes, I'm new.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hey dudes, I'm new.

Postby shortcut » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Hey dudes. I'm just getting into distilling, I have done a run on my Keggomax-cm which was pretty good but i wasnt very happy with the essences that i tried.
So i joined up to ask a stack of noob questions about flavours and such. Also i want to know how to make the whole procedure faster, but we'll get to that.
Anyway, hello.
I'm off to figure out how to update my profile and start scouring the forum.

Cheers,
Shortcut.
shortcut

equipment: Keggomax-CM
unfinished copper pot still

Re: Hey dudes, I'm new.

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi mate, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

For the essences try here
viewforum.php?f=50

For a good place to start on reading try a few of the links in my signiture below :handgestures-thumbupleft:

On speed, sorry mate you have a reflux still it ain't gonna be fast but nothing in this hobby worth doing is done fast....well except bubblers, bubblers are fast :laughing-rolling:

Enjoy the ride mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Welcome shortcut.

:text-+1: on what woodduck said!

There are no real shortcuts (ha!) to quality spirits, the key to this pastime is patience. There are some things you can do to your process to eke a little more of your time back; extra heat to bring the boiler up to temperature quicker, fill the boiler the night before etc but you won't be able to speed up the throughput on your still without compromising the quality of your product.

What flavour essences were you using? If you're looking for rum or whisky/whiskey, perhaps a pot still my find it's way into your future; there are some great recipes in the recipe section for so called "brown" spirits. The MacRum is a ripper and the Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash (WBAB) makes a great base for oaking a nice whiskey when pot stilled or run through a bubbler and also for a high quality vodka if refluxed.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Woodsy71 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:50 am

Nice to see you here, man :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby bluc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Welcome buddy. Bubbler is def the way to go for fastest runtime.. :smile:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby crow » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Howdee, yep cordials are not the real thing never will be. The still you got is not fast never will be, its for making neutral spirit. If your chasing brown spirits you will want to look at getting or making at least a simple pot still which is very cheap and easy to make or there are other options too, plated columns, CCVM etc.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby shortcut » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks fellas, I’ve already learnt heaps from this joint since Monday. So much info.
It seems the guy at the shop led me astray a bit. ha.
Cheers dudes.
shortcut

equipment: Keggomax-CM
unfinished copper pot still

Postby Lowie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:48 pm

G'day Mate, and welcome.
I have to say though, when you're running short on aged bourbon/whiskey/rum, etc. the cordials do come in handy... :laughing-rolling:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Return to Welcome Centre