Hi All

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Hi All

Postby Plumby » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:10 am

Lukem82 wrote:I know this will frustrate most but If i do a TPW and run it through my T500 and run it through carbon not making cuts at all wil it still be noticeably better than a turbo wash.

This is what I did for ages as I thought doing cuts would be a pain in the ass, and why air it overnight when I want to drink it now? One I started doing cuts I realised how wrong I was and I wouldn't go back now.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby crow » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:04 pm

ThePaterPiper wrote::text-+1: :laughing-rolling: not one to mince words hey crow? But none a truer word said. From the flavoured vodkas I have tasted, it’s like comparing fresh squeezed orange juice to mix up cordial. Some prefer cordial, but if you can have fresh squeezed for just a fraction more coin, then why not?

Yeah mate the truth is not always what ppl want to hear but what they should hear. No point filling these new guys up with horse shit or letting ppl think every method wins a prize. Blokes come here to learn and get the best advise, if ya want bullshit check out YouTube or dare I say it the HBS advise.
Mate do the cuts, take small samples say 200ml at a time ( pirckle jars are great but glasses or anything glass will do) . Now if ya like me sense of smell is tricky and let's face it we aren't making after save so much more important is taste. My was of doing this is I get a tablespoon and a tea spoon and a mug of clean water. I ladel out 1/3 of the table spoon of water and starting at the mid run jar I add a teaspoon of spirit and taste.
This is ya mid hearts, either end of ya exceptable heart will be similar but not exactly the same, experience will teach you what no one can. Then move say 5 jars in on direction and taste, if its about the same add all them jars to a pot , repeat into out find a many jar and work back to see where hearts end. Do the same in the tails direction. Here's a hint, heads will burn the front of ya tongue tails the back of ya throat whereas heart will give ya a warm mild burn evenly. Do air ya jars for at least overnight and a few days is better if its not hot. You can reuse all the faints except the first and sometimes second jar as the are fore shots containing almost no ethanol but plenty of crap like acetone, acetate and methyl alcohols (but no actually the main concentration of methanol as some believe)
Soaking proof : OK oak has a whole bunch of compounds that vary greatly in how soluble there are, the most soluble is tannin (think cold black tea) now a little tannin goes a long way and too much is way too much, the higher the proof the stronger the solvent is so you will get an imbalance of the compounds leached out with an excess of the more soluble ones. That is what most ppl are talking about when they say something is over soaked and its bloody awful .
My initial post wasn't ment to be brash but I don't see the point in stroking egos, no body did that to me and my crap ideas were corrected quick smart and I am damn greatful for that
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:22 pm

Fantastic post Crow. I will do the taste testing in future. That will have helped with our 100% peated mash. It appears we have missed the smells in the peat and have at least some heads in our kept spirit. Tingling tongue and gums.
Despite all of the reading I have done, I have never come by this advice.

Thank you very much.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby crow » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:41 pm

OK looks like my phone's autocorrect attacked my post a bit but I hope its clear enough.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Lowie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:01 pm

woodduck wrote:
Lukem82 wrote:I know this will frustrate most but If i do a TPW and run it through my T500 and run it through carbon not making cuts at all wil it still be noticeably better than a turbo wash.

Mate you can do this hobby however you like. No one can make you do anything you dont want to. I personally wouldn't drink any uncut spirit and I don't. I put peoples nose out of joint when I refuse a taste but I don't like the taste of acetone nor do I want to put it in my gut (they have it on the warning labels for a reason), I have enough health issues as it is.

We are just trying to help out mate not bash ya, we wanna see you enjoy what you make, not do this hobby to save a few bucks and end up hating it. It is a fantastically enjoyable hobby.

Ps is your carbon filter plastic? If so I probably wouldn't drink that either, I don't know of a commercial alcohol that is packed in plastic or even goes near it not even beer, why? Cause alcahol is a solvent and eats plastic.

It would take you less time to do cuts than run it though a filter. Just my opinion and advice, your a big boy and can make your own decisions, we're just giving you the best info we can so you can make an informed decision. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Edit. Yes I guess uncut TPW would be better than uncut turbo?

Yep... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Lowie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Here's an easy way to do cuts when you're beginning. Count up all your jars (200-30ml) divide by 2 - i.e start in the middle and work your way outwards (1 to the left, 1 to the right, and so on). discard the jars at the end (probs the first two and the last two - save them for a feints run. Don't include your first 200ml as you should ditch that anyway.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre