Hi All

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi All

Postby Lukem82 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi All
New to the site and new to distilling. I run a T500 and have only done turbo washs. Very interested in TPW. I like single
Malt whiskey from SS. I don’t want to over complicate things as I am doing this to save money. I sit my neutral on carbon for a week then run it though the EZ filter and add my essence and some glycerin. It’s not quiet Glenfiddich but am happy to
Drink. Just brought oak dominoes so was going to put the neutral on them for a couple of weeks then add essence any advice would be great.

Cheers
Lukem82
Lukem82

equipment: Turbo500

Re: Hi All

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 am

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

If you want to save money then get onto the TPW or WBAB wash them you can turff all that Turbo yeast, carbon, plastic and chemical clearers etc out the door because you won't need them.

Check this thread out for a start then have a brouse through the newbie section, there's a link in my signiture below plus a few more worth reading :handgestures-thumbupleft:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=10483

Enjoy the new hobby
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Woodsy71 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:22 am

Nice to see you here, mate :smile:

Just a tip with your oaking. Soak your dominoes in Neutral at 65% abv. Leave it for a few weeks then water it down to 40% abv. Try it before you add essence. And when you do, only add a fraction of the essence they recommend.
I reckon you'll notice a big improvement :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Lukem82 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks for the heads up gents. Why 65% does it soak up more of the oak at a high ABV? If I put all the essence will it over powering? I appreciate the the tip. Next run will be a TPW. However I will not being doing cuts as I am not at that stage as yet. If I treat the TPW like a turbo wash excluding the clearing agent and still run it through carbon will I still notice a difference in the quality of my neutral?
Lukem82

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:56 am

Your wasting your time without cuts mate. It’s not that hard, just be harsh on your cuts, you don't loose anything because you put your unwanted cuts in with the next run.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Lukem82 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks mate appreciate your time. I know a few people who don’t do cuts at all and they make a readable drop I just wasn’t aware of how much better it would be with making cuts.
Cheers
Lukem82

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:31 am

Proper cuts is the single most important stage of the entire process mate.

Welcome!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:35 am

I guess the best way to know is try it. Then compare it to your mates, i think I know who'll
win that one :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sorry bout the last post, didn't mean to sound blunt mate that wasn't my intention. There's a reason 99% of blokes here do cuts and it’s not to pass time I can assure you.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby bluc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:49 am

:text-+1: cuts is were the magic happens :dance:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Lukem82 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:53 pm

Ok it seems like if your not doing cuts your not doing right hahaha?
What is the difference is it way smoother or better taste?

Excuse my ignorance remember I am new
Lukem82

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:02 pm

Collect in small jars and keep what smells and tastes good. You'll see what we mean.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Plumby » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:10 pm

bluc wrote::text-+1: cuts is were the magic happens :dance:

:text-+1:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:55 pm

It’s like drinking nailpolish remover vs glenfiddick :handgestures-thumbupleft: in simple terms it seperates the junk alcohols from the good.

Once you've done a run with cuts you'll see what we mean. Smell jar 1 and then the last jar and then the middle jar and tell us which one you would prefer. It will all make sence then :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm not saying you must do this just recon you should try it once and if you don't recon it helps you can always throw it all back together and you haven't lost a thing. I very much doubt you will regret it.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Professor Green » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:25 pm

Welcome to AD mate.

:text-+1: on the good advice in the above responses.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby crow » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:45 pm

G'day mate sounds like these guys are going all PC on ya, sometimes frank honesty is better. Truth is if your not making cuts then yes you are indeed doing it very wrong as those fractions you are including are harmful and long term consumption is going to give you grief down the track, you would be better off buying the cheapest nastiest rot gut for your daily drink. This post in this link will be the most important thing you will read in this hobby
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859#p40598
Turbo yeasts get a bad rap on all the forums because they are sub par (read shit) for our purposes, do yourself a flavour and kick it to the curb. You can filter out the worst of the flavour but you can't make strawberry jam out of pig shit. As you get into this hobby it will become apparent to ya that flavoured spirits are much cheaper and worlds apart better made from scratch rather than voddy and cordial, if ya get hooked I see a pots still in your near future.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby ThePaterPiper » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:00 pm

:text-+1: :laughing-rolling: not one to mince words hey crow? But none a truer word said. From the flavoured vodkas I have tasted, it’s like comparing fresh squeezed orange juice to mix up cordial. Some prefer cordial, but if you can have fresh squeezed for just a fraction more coin, then why not?
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Lukem82 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:05 pm

I know this will frustrate most but If i do a TPW and run it through my T500 and run it through carbon not making cuts at all wil it still be noticeably better than a turbo wash.
Lukem82

Postby Lowie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:11 pm

crow wrote:G'day mate sounds like these guys are going all PC on ya, sometimes frank honesty is better. Truth is if your not making cuts then yes you are indeed doing it very wrong as those fractions you are including are harmful and long term consumption is going to give you grief down the track, you would be better off buying the cheapest nastiest rot gut for your daily drink. This post in this link will be the most important thing you will read in this hobby
http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic ... 859#p40598
Turbo yeasts get a bad rap on all the forums because they are sub par (read shit) for our purposes, do yourself a flavour and kick it to the curb. You can filter out the worst of the flavour but you can't make strawberry jam out of pig shit. As you get into this hobby it will become apparent to ya that flavoured spirits are much cheaper and worlds apart better made from scratch rather than voddy and cordial, if ya get hooked I see a pots still in your near future.

:text-imwithstupid:
Best (blunt) advice so far mate. If you stick with the turbo, do what woody said and sniff all your jars. If you can't smell a difference then your nose is kaput! :handgestures-thumbupleft: Have a crack at the TPW, it's easy, cheap and you don't need all that other crap (ezi filter, carbon pack and clearing agents) that the homebrew shop is flogging you. Been there done that... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:31 pm

Lukem82 wrote:I know this will frustrate most but If i do a TPW and run it through my T500 and run it through carbon not making cuts at all wil it still be noticeably better than a turbo wash.

Mate you can do this hobby however you like. No one can make you do anything you dont want to. I personally wouldn't drink any uncut spirit and I don't. I put peoples nose out of joint when I refuse a taste but I don't like the taste of acetone nor do I want to put it in my gut (they have it on the warning labels for a reason), I have enough health issues as it is.

We are just trying to help out mate not bash ya, we wanna see you enjoy what you make, not do this hobby to save a few bucks and end up hating it. It is a fantastically enjoyable hobby.

Ps is your carbon filter plastic? If so I probably wouldn't drink that either, I don't know of a commercial alcohol that is packed in plastic or even goes near it not even beer, why? Cause alcahol is a solvent and eats plastic.

It would take you less time to do cuts than run it though a filter. Just my opinion and advice, your a big boy and can make your own decisions, we're just giving you the best info we can so you can make an informed decision. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Edit. Yes I guess uncut TPW would be better than uncut turbo?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:51 am

Lukem82 wrote:Thanks for the heads up gents. Why 65% does it soak up more of the oak at a high ABV? If I put all the essence will it over powering??

Yes it does. The oak will leave flavour, so add small amounts of essence and sample as you go until you find your preferred taste :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Next

Return to Welcome Centre