G'day from Brissy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day from Brissy

Postby crafty83 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi all,
Just thought I would introduce myself.
I have been distilling for 12 years now ( still consider myself somewhat novice ) :))
I currently run a 50ltr boiler with a 2" copper pot column and a 2" copper packed reflux that I designed and built myself.
Great hobby making grog, great building your own equipment and great drinking the fruits of this labour of love.
Haven't had a lot of time to read up on here but what I have read so far is great, so much helpful info and great guys to help!
I am a cooper by trade, over 18 years experience and have been running my own little cooperage from home for the last 2 years, making alcohol just seemed very fitting for me being a cooper and a lover of alcohol :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
My next build will be a 4" glass bubbler, possibly with an alembic helmet (if the price is worth it) and a packed column for neutral, I hope to start this very soon.
I will post updates/questions once the build is underway :happy-partydance:
crafty83

equipment: Pot still, reflux still

Re: G'day from Brissy

Postby andybear » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Welcome crafty, I think you're gonna be popular around here with your cooperage skills. Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby bluc » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Awesome welcome again crafty. Awesome to have a cooper on hand :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:31 pm

G'day mate and welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

A handy trade to have and sounds like you've got a bit of experience with stilling aswell.

What do you like to make/drink?

Enjoy the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby crafty83 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys.
I have not done much experimenting, I only make neutral and molasses, hence why I say I am still novice after 12 years :))
long hours at work held me back for many years but I am starting to get back to it. Only just done my first TPW, :o still fermenting.
Next is simple corn/rye mash. I have had a 25 litre charred bourbon barrel sitting here for 3 years waiting for the nectar :doh:
My 25 litre rum barrel (remade from ex heaven hill barrel) was filled 3 weeks ago, only 11 months and 1 week to wait....
Cannot wait to get things back into full swing and get my bubbler build up and producing :D
I'm sure the guys here will give me all the motivation I need.
Just tried my first easy flange today on some 2" scrap, so much easier than I first thought
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crafty83

equipment: Pot still, reflux still

Postby Minpac » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Welcome aboard!

Definitely cool to have a cooper on here, would love to see some pics of the cooperage process some time.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Return to Welcome Centre