Gday people.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Gday people.

Postby bourbonplumbing » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:03 am

Hey everyone, i found aussie distillers searching the web "why my alcohol smells and tastes like metho" turns out it was probably everything i used with the prefix "turbo" also i'm sure, not making cuts and possibly not letting the wash ferment long enough was part of the problem.

I recently purchased a t500 still, the copper one with the copper and stainless saddles. I'm now aware it wasn't the smartest purchase i've ever made :handgestures-thumbdown:

But i'll stick with the t500 for a while and hopefully, i can build a better still suited for bourbon, using the massive amount of information on this site.

I have 2 TPW's fermenting atm, hopefully i get a better result this time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bourbonplumbing

equipment: T 500 with a copper condenser. And a bucket

Re: Gday people.

Postby Professor Green » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:51 am

Welcome mate.

The T500 column isn't so bad. A lot of us started out with one but just outgrew it's capabilities very quickly. There's a great thread in the newbie section on running the T500 the proper way which is well worth the read and will have you making top a top notch drop in no time.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 am

Hi and welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow:

Like the professor said theres nothing wrong with the t500, it’s capabilities are just limited. And yes unfortunately it won't make bourbon so a pot or bubbler will be the go for the future.

Looks like you found the answers to your question and if you implement these few changes you'll have a great drink in no time :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good luck mate
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bourbonplumbing » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:57 am

Thanks guys. And yea i did read the thread about running the T500 the proper way, i'll be using that advice this weekend. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bourbonplumbing

equipment: T 500 with a copper condenser. And a bucket

Return to Welcome Centre