BBQ for whiskey lessons?

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: BBQ for whiskey lessons?

Postby Minpac » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm Brisbane and keen on BBQ(have a green mountain pellet grill) - but Doc has far more knowledge than I. Like stonemaker, I'd be keen to attend if Doc is coming -Brisket and booze!
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby chrus86 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:Acquire a 50l keg, make a 2” pot for it. Run it on gas with a 3 or 4ring burner and that will be useful when u start on all grain :handgestures-thumbupleft: or if u wanna go lectric use a 2400w weldless element :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Either way u go will be step in right direction :-B

Saw the elements on 5 Star, was going to grab one!!
Would love to have it up and running by Christmas so I can do a run. Now I just need to learn everything else in the mean time!!
chrus86

equipment: Obtaining final parts for 4" pot still on keg boiler.

Postby Lowie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Here's a thought mate. Why don't you post your BBQ tips and tricks in the "tucker box" and in return, those of us that inhabit the fine south (not mexico...) can help you out with distilling tips and tricks :handgestures-thumbupleft: Cheers. Lowie
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby chrus86 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Minpac wrote:I'm Brisbane and keen on BBQ(have a green mountain pellet grill) - but Doc has far more knowledge than I. Like stonemaker, I'd be keen to attend if Doc is coming -Brisket and booze!

Mate I have no idea what I am doing yet so if you are keen, I would be happy to help you out on the que if you can share some starting tips?? Never distilled before !
chrus86

Postby chrus86 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Lowie wrote:Here's a thought mate. Why don't you post your BBQ tips and tricks in the "tucker box" and in return, those of us that inhabit the fine south (not mexico...) can help you out with distilling tips and tricks :handgestures-thumbupleft: Cheers. Lowie

Brilliant idea Lowie!!! I will do exactly that!!!
chrus86

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:07 pm

I think the theme everyone is dancing around here chruss is that Doc is your bet if you want face to face help, because he is running a commercial interest. I seriously doubt any hobby distiller is going to risk inviting a complete stranger into their home distillery to view their somewhat questionable set up and practices (from a legal standpoint).
You will however receive tips and advice, so much so, that you will never be left wanting for information on how to build, run and or problem solve any issue.

I can tell you this from personal experience, and if you look at what the tax office alone are able to do to a hobby distiller, you will understand.

All the best with your build, you will not be disappointed with your product if you are patient :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Bushy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:43 pm

Not a bad statement there Mr PP.
To be a champion BBQer you obviously enjoy the finer details and getting into the nitty gritty of your chosen subject. There is a enough information on this site alone to steer you down the right track. Read up mate, you won't regret it. Then, in a while, you will be wondering what all the fuss was about because it really is a simple process.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby chrus86 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:40 am

ThePaterPiper wrote:I think the theme everyone is dancing around here chruss is that Doc is your bet if you want face to face help, because he is running a commercial interest. I seriously doubt any hobby distiller is going to risk inviting a complete stranger into their home distillery to view their somewhat questionable set up and practices (from a legal standpoint).
You will however receive tips and advice, so much so, that you will never be left wanting for information on how to build, run and or problem solve any issue.

I can tell you this from personal experience, and if you look at what the tax office alone are able to do to a hobby distiller, you will understand.

All the best with your build, you will not be disappointed with your product if you are patient :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ahh I understand now. I appreciate you pointing that out to me. Everyone has been so helpful already and I have learnt a few valuable tips over the last 3 days already.

Thank you, looking forward to getting stuck into this!!
chrus86

Postby chrus86 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:47 am

Bushy wrote:Not a bad statement there Mr PP.
To be a champion BBQer you obviously enjoy the finer details and getting into the nitty gritty of your chosen subject. There is a enough information on this site alone to steer you down the right track. Read up mate, you won't regret it. Then, in a while, you will be wondering what all the fuss was about because it really is a simple process.

I certainly do love the finer details, and I enjoy a challenge. I think it may be excitement at the moment trying to speed up my learning process but I am definitely in this for the long haul. This forum is incredible and everyone in it so helpful. I will continue my research and learning mate, I will focus on building the still first i think.
chrus86

Postby the Doctor » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:34 am

PM me if you want some help ...I can give you my phone number and we can see if I can help you.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre