Hi from ADL

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from ADL

Postby username » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi All,
Been a lurker for quite a while now, bout time i did the official and introduced myself.
Started with home brew near 3 years ago now.
Had my first kid 18 months ago and while spending countless hours a night completely voluntary awake, got to reading everything available with one hand scrolling and sparked my interest in spirits, got to say thought it would be much more complex than beers to get started, but it was very easy to get into.
After reading everything in newbies corner several times over built a 2" pot on keg using 4 ring gas burner over last xmas break, using spare keg as a fermenter.
First UJSM spirit run went on oak in January, of which ive restrained myself to keep a 5L Demi on oak since then, just had a finger dip and i can say i think this is a hobby that is definitely going to pay off.
Got into the pattern of 3-4 strip runs to a spirit run, keep 4L at 65% in a demi and chuck the rest into feints.
Have since done a 7 gen BWKO, 4 gen NGW and about to do first strip on McRum.
Did my first all feints run last weekend and pulled 12L at 65% of hearts, realized i am probably overly harsh with cuts but i guess that is a good thing until i know better.

Having fun with different oaks and trying some chips in the mix for an edge on flavour, now that im pretty hooked, piecing parts for a bubbler and looking to get more involved here, just wish i picked a normal user name as i was a little too paranoid about using my regular handle stk610.

Cheers all
username

equipment: 2" Pot on keg, gas driven.

Re: Hi from ADL

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:54 pm

Hey mate, welcome, I reckon username as your username is awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft: as long as you didn’t make your password “password” :laughing-rolling:
Looks like you’ve done some good reading and are well on your way, pot stills are great but bubblers are the shit.
Good luck, enjoy the new hobby and the new bubs and don’t be afraid of asking questions.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Welcome here mate.

If you want your name changed we can do that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:01 pm

G'day mate and welcome aboard.

Sounds like your all over it. Glad to hear your getting good results :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You won't regret a bubbler I can garentee that.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:08 pm

G-day mate ,sounds like ya burning the candle at both ends and pretty busy,stillin is pretty flexable to ya schedual once ya know what ya doing and it sounds like ya hit the ground runnin,has its payoffs for being stuck at home too.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Woodsy71 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:00 am

Welcome to the show, man :cool:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Professor Green » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:33 am

Welcome to AD mate.

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby bluc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:50 am

Welcome bud seems like you got it sussed :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby username » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:40 am

Thanks for the welcome all.

thanks for the reminder to change my password UJ.... :))

I work in mech services, we are wrapping up a job where we will have approx 20-30 125mm copper off cuts from 200-400mm in length
In my mind im picturing everything from bubbler tees to RC, however im also assuming like everything in 5", the range of products for things like triclamps is slim to none, so unless i make it fixed or slip flange joint im probably going to make it quite difficult for myself.

Anyway that's my random scattered thought for the day, i come up with a new idea everyday and see if i cant talk myself out of it by the end of the day, a sounding board like this is great for me, you all may just need to get used to it
username

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:06 am

Welcome mate!

Ill be more than happy to find a home for some of that 5" pipe if you can get hold of it. 5" triclamps etc are available, and you'd only need a couple of them if you built a semi modular bubbler.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby scythe » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:20 am

Yeah grab as much as you can.
If it ends up too expensive to make something from share it with the forum and scrap the rest.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby username » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks guys,
Whatever i grab out of the scrap pile comes out of our shared beer fund so im not going to rape and pillage it just to scrap myself.
If it is a useful size for people i can grab a bit to help a few out.

My plan was for a 4" blockhead bubble, but being realistic with my available time and patience, i was considering only making up the less fiddly bits such as the blockhead and condensers, using FSD complete tees for the real still bits, 5" changes that plan a bit.

Maybe i will start with a 5" blockhead onto the pot and see if i stick with 5" or switch to 4".
username

Postby scythe » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:28 pm

You could make a good pot still out of 5"

Yeah i wasn't suggesting that you take it all and scrap it for your self.
Especially if it comes out of a communal beer/christmas party fund.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Lowie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:56 pm

G'day mate and welcome. Can't say I know a lot about 5", seems like an obscure size? Nothing like the interweb for searching stuff like this though :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Here's a thought, why not swap some of your hooch with the boys at work that way you can score more copper!
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Bushy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:03 am

Lowie wrote:Here's a thought, why not swap some of your hooch with the boys at work that way you can score more copper!

And this guy gets my vote in the $50 suggestion of the month competition. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Welcome to the forum bloke. :greetings-waveyellow:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby username » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Some of the boys have already been used as test dummies, though i am deliberately selective whom i share this hobby with, when i say the boys it can be up to 30 off them so i do exercise some discretion.

i have found 5 inch fittings from an alternative Australian ish still company, however as expected it is a significant price jump per fitting, not likely to be worth the extra costs.
So i will hang out for some 4" to come through work.

Scored myself a gumtree used 1lt port barrel, smelt like it has something quite sweet like southern comfort in it.
Have put some of my 1yr old UJSM in it, with a control sample along side, surprised how much flavour has been picked up in only a week, looking like a great finishing barrel pre bottling.
next will be to find the line of too long in the barrel so i can get a nice bottling routine going with that.

Many people play with finishing barrels for a differing flavour?
username

Postby username » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:45 am

Hi All,
Wondering if there are any people that meet up infrequently around Adelaide, obviously not looking to make a public arrangement, more if it was a done thing or not.
Would love to get some experienced stillers to try some of my early aged whiskies, see if they detect any heads or tails so i can refine my process further.

i know in the home brew community carton swaps is a done thing, anything similar with bottle swaps?

Great way to try new recipes/aging techniques before committing a batch?
username

Postby Nino » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:34 pm

I would be interested in a get together :).
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:07 am

There is murmurs about an Adelaide catch up... I'd definitely be interested.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby woodduck » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:17 am

I'd come along :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Next

Return to Welcome Centre