G'day all another northern vic here

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day all another northern vic here

Postby Christo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:46 pm

G'day,
Well ive never done this before so after years of will or wont i ive just put my first wash down.
Decided to have a play with frozen corn, as i couldnt get cracked corn, but after a chat to the produce supplier that problem is now rectified.
After much reading and a definite case of information overload, i came up with the following recipie for my first go
I have used 4kg frozen corn, which i thawed, crushed by hand in a pot with 2ltr water (lot of work hahaha, newbie initiation) then heated so it was just hot enough to keep my hand in uncomfortably but not actually burning me to much ( i forgot to get a thermometer)i kept this temp for around an hour, then i let it cool to the point where it was hot but comfortable then added 200gms of malted 2 row barley then maintained temp for about 40-50 min.
I dissolved 4kg of sugar into 2 litres of boiling water then cooled with 5 litres of water and added the pot with the 4 kg of corn crushed in 2ltr of water. I activated 3 dessert spoons of lowans premium bakers yeast, i topped up fermentor to 25 litre mark with water then stirred in the yeast, the temp was 36°c ( i read that this type of yeast multiplied at this temp) i put on the lid and attached the air lock, it was bubbling with in three hours and is bubbling along like a steam train today (24hrs later).
So the learning curve begins :))
Christo

equipment: Albemic 2 chamber head, (upright vapour chamber and condenser chamber)

Re: G'day all another northern vic here

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:10 pm

Sounds good and welcome. I gather whiskey is your drink of choice? Would love to see a pic of your pot :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

Sounds like an interesting recipe, let us know how it goes :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Enjoy the forum
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:42 pm

Welcome Christo.

:text-+1: on pics of the still!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Lowie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Welcome mate. Nothing like jumping in at the deep end!
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby andybear » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Welcome Christo,
I often thought of using frozen corn too. Let the forum know how it turns out in two to three months. My cfw is the bomb after a year so give that a go . Enjoy your new hobby.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Sparrow » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Top stuff mate, keen to hear how it goes.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the mashing style approach to the corn, it needs to be malted to get and anything out of it in that respect. Might be good for flavour though.
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Return to Welcome Centre