Hi from north Tas

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from north Tas

Postby datman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi, thought I better introduce myself. Came across this forum by accident, YAY! Bought myself a cheep ebay still while I get my but into gear and make the one I want. It was supposed to be a reflux still but it doesn't even have a cooling coil in the main column. So I have wrapped some copper line around the upper part of the column to get some reflux action. Don't expect it to be wonderful but will have to do.

Something like the top section of this if the picture works. I have it connected to a 50litre urn. Should do my first run in about 3 weeks. Have put down 60 litre TPW today.
So before I have even used my setup I'm planning for the future. Bought a keg off gumtree yesterday, they are hard to come by in Tassie so I was pretty lucky. Thinking along the lines of a 4" column of some sort. I'm sure there is plenty of info on these pages.

I like the thought of distilling not that I drink that much, but like a good variety of spirits so to buy one of every thing costs a fortune. I also don't like people telling me I cant or shouldn't do some thing. That's probably why I grow my own tobacco as well. I only smoke the odd cigar and use it as a pesticide. Strange these 2 habits are taxed through the roof.

Cheers.
datman

equipment: Ebay reflux still, 50 litre urn. Fingers crossed.

Re: Hi from north Tas

Postby A&O » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Welcome datman, you will find the wise heads here fantastic for advice. I have learnt so much from reading through threads and when I have questions I’ve just asked and been given great advice & explanations. I’m like you, not a big drinker but like quality, but I think I might be in it for the hobby and be able to build something meaningful. Well you 1 step in front of me, I don’t have any still yet, she’s being built now. Good luck
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby woodduck » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:17 pm

G'day mate and welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

Your right it won't be the best still you'll ever own or the last probably but it is a start. It will keep you going while you sift through these pages learning all you can.

Enjoy the new hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby datman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Cheers all, yep I tend to over think things some times and research to the point of delaying. Thought I would jump in and learn some things along the way. Don't have the money to buy a wiz bang still straight out so the cheapy will do until I can gather all the bits to make what I need.

Some good threads here. Still plowing through the TPW thread, couldn't wait to the end before putting my batch on. Any good threads you would recommend about reflux designs or builds?
datman

Postby TheMechwarrior » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Welcome mate Image

You've come to the right place, you'll find a wealth of knowledge and no shortage of people willing to help.

Cheers,

Mech.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby woodduck » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:32 pm

A whole section on reflux stills here mate

viewforum.php?f=8

Should keep ya busy for a bit. The neewbies corner is a great place to start as well cause it's got all the stuff you'll need to know to get started :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 pm

Welcome datman.

There's enough info here to make your head spin. TPW is a good place to start; foolproof and it makes for a nice clean neutral.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby tassiespirit » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi Datman, welcome, from another north tasswegian, remeber you got to start somewhere, but you will not stay there. Hobbies are like that , and this is a great place to learn.
tassiespirit

equipment: Got a small reflux, need to sort things out for a Pot style as well.

Postby datman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Thanks everyone.
datman

Postby datman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:05 pm

I need more posts. ~x(
datman

Postby datman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:09 pm

tassiespirit wrote:Hi Datman, welcome, from another north tasswegian, remeber you got to start somewhere, but you will not stay there. Hobbies are like that , and this is a great place to learn.

Hi TS can't read your PM yet , they say I need more posts. Don't think that I'm ignoring you.

Cheers
datman

Return to Welcome Centre