Greetings fellow distillers

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Greetings fellow distillers

Postby carcrash » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:02 pm

I am relatively new to distilling but have been helping a friend for some time with his setup that he has been running for ten years now. I recently purchased my own equipment with the intension of moving away from the method my mate is using which is a simple sugar wash.
I've come here to learn and get much needed advice.
I am in Brisbane and would like to meet others in the area to share ideas and experience.
Cheers.
carcrash

equipment: Alembic Pot
T500 Reflux
30L Boiler

Re: Greetings fellow distillers

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What type of drinks are you planning on making?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi carcrash, welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow:

Well you've come to the right place if your looking to learn, there's bulk onfo here and all the answers are here all that's required is a bit of reading :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Are you looking to go all grain? There's a fair bit of work involved in doing it but I've been told the results are more than worth it. A lot of us here do sugarheads and they work well for us, recipes like CFW, NGW and BWKO (not sure what they mean? There's a link to abbreviations in my sig below. A handy thread to bookmark) are real nice if your looking for a simpler start off point before jumping into all grain. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Enjoy the new hobby mate
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:57 pm

G’day mate, welcome here. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby carcrash » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Thank you for welcoming me into the fold.
Yes, heaps of reading to be done and lots of terms to be learned.
For the most part I am a whisky drinker. As I said, I have been helping a friend with his still now for a couple years so I have just been following his methods (reflux) but now that I have my own equipment I plan to not only keep up the Whisky production, aged on oak but experiment with fruits.
One drink I have tried my hand at was a batch of Himbeergist. A German "fire water" made with raspberries. I was pleased with the result and plan to make more of that in the future. I would also like to make other fruit based drinks. Plum, pear, apricot etc.
My method for the Himbeergist was to soak the raspberries in 70% for a couple weeks. The spirit was produced using the T500 with just the basic sugar wash. Then blend to down to 40% and run it through the pot still. I think the same method should work with other fruits just as well.
I am looking forward to experimenting and it is very clear that I have come to the right place for advice and bucket loads of reading to do!
carcrash

equipment: Alembic Pot
T500 Reflux
30L Boiler

Postby Professor Green » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:27 pm

Welcome to AD carcrash.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Plumby » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:47 pm

:greetings-waveyellow:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Return to Welcome Centre