TPW temperature

Say Hi and introduce yourself

TPW temperature

Postby Squids » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:48 am

Hi, I would like to know the best temperature a TPW should ferment at and the max and minimum it can handle, Standard TPW with Lowans instant dried yeast.
I have made two batches but one of them stopped bubbling at about 23deg, I warmed it up a bit and gave it a good stir,that got it going again. Also should I stir the yeast in or just sprinkle on top.
Squids

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: TPW temperature

Postby ThePaterPiper » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:43 am

Lowans seems to love being around 30C

I always rehydrate yeast by putting it in a sterilised jar with warm water and a teaspoon of sugar just to wake your yeasties up. Once it has soaked in it will go pastey and reproduce like mad. aerate your wort as best you can, and add the rehydrated yeast. You will be rocking along then, no worries.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby woodduck » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:53 am

It is customary to pop into the welcome centre at say hi (as you already know from the TPW thread you posted in) before posting questions and that is probably why no one has really answered your questions. We are happy to help but won't rush to the aid of people who don't really want to be part of the community. I will however give you the benifit of the doubt and answer the best I can but hope you decide to join in and post a welcome comment :handgestures-thumbupleft:

TPW and lowans are both pretty forgiving. Keep it anywhere between 25-30 and you should be right. It will ferment at lower but will be slow as hell, it will also go much higher if you wanted, I've pitched Lowans at 40 before and had no trouble but be careful because you can get off flavors at higher temps. I always stir my yeast in and try get some air into it at the same time.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sam. » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:56 pm

This is the welcome centre woody :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby A&O » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:39 pm

What do you like to drink mate and what’s your setup?
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby woodduck » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Sam. wrote:This is the welcome centre woody :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:wtf: :oops: :oops: :oops: lesson here is pay attention 8-} :angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: sorry rock. I'll try again,

Hi mate welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

What do you like to drink? Have you been stilling long? Are these your first washes?

Hope your TPW's work out ok
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:14 pm

In woodduck's defence, that really wasn't much of an intro!

Welcome to the forum rockdraft.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby bluc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:23 pm

welcome buddy whats your fav drink?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Squids » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:00 am

Hi guys, I used to make whisky 20 years ago, i used a 5L still, got sick of that! Back into it again 4 months ago with a T500. I have been using hbs yeasts etc and now trying tpw, I am very impressed with my first batch. Whisky is my main poison but I also make ouzo gin and will try a few more!
Thanks for the reply woodduck
Squids

equipment: Turbo 500

Return to Welcome Centre