Hi from Lockyer Valley

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Lockyer Valley

Postby TGB » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:45 am

I have been distilling for 25 years using an introductory type Still from a brew shop. Im looking to step up my game & Im here for info & help to build a new Still for a Keg I found. I brew 50L washes with Turbo yeasts & have a 25L boiler. Generally I only get 75% unless I double still. It takes a long time. I wouldn't mind doing some whisky if I can learn how.
TGB

equipment: Not a very good one! That's why I'm here.

Re: Hi from Lockyer Valley

Postby woodduck » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:56 am

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

You've come to the right place. There is bulk information here on all things distilling. Take your time and have a read before you rush in. There are a few different links in my signature that might be of interest. The beginners section is a great read even if you are an old hat especially if most of your knowledge has come from the home brew shop or the turbo companies, there is a whole new world beyond them :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Then have a look at the different still types before deciding on what still to build or buy.

Enjoy the new hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sam. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:26 am

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Your perspective on distilling is about to change dramatically, in a good way :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:33 am

Welcome TGB.

There's a lot of really good info available here.

If you're interested in making a range of spirits, a modular still is the way to go as you can configure it different ways to suit the spirit your making at the time. If you want to build it yourself there's plenty of ideas in the Plated Column Stills section otherwise 5 Star do a top notch off the shelf 4" still (have a look the Neutraliser, Eliminator of Mac 4 SSG) that will perfect on top of your keg. The other good thing about modular stills is that, if you don't want to start with the full monty up front, you can start with a pot still and add the rest as you like.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:40 am

Are you rural or residential.
wynnum1

Postby TGB » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:06 am

Thanks for the welcome guys. In reply I will say I am in residential area. I am a pensioner so I wont be able to buy the great looking products offered at 5 star Im sorry. I do however appreciate this forum. To be honest I want to find what a good Duel still is & then find someone who can build it for me. Then I will learn how to use it & maybe make Whiskey. So if someone can point me to the guy who can build in SE Qld this would be great. There used to be a guy in Ipswich who built Boka's & sold on Ebay but it appears he has stopped & there is nothing else advertised anywhere.
TGB

Postby scythe » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:26 am

If whiskey is your end game then a pot still is what your after.
A boka and cordial will never do it a well.

A modular pot still from 5 star is a cheap way to get into it really, and then as funds permit you can add plate sections to get a bubbler.

Being a pensioner tho a 2" copper pipe pot still will be cheaper at less than $100 in bits to make but then you still need a boiler which can be pricey.
Unless you have one.
You could make one out of stainless bits from ebay as well.

$50 for 50L keg.
$50 for weldless element
$48 For 2x 12" sanitary spools.
$32 for 2x 2" sanitary elbows
$5 for 2" ferrule
$20 in copper for the liebig condenser
$40 for 5x sanitary clamps
Thats if you dont want to solder anything and be able to fix leaks yourself.

Getting some one to make you a copper pipe pot still head should cost you about $150 i would expect.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby woodduck » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:37 am

If your not strapped for time and don't mind doing strip and spirit runs (not sure how hectic your retirement is :laughing-rolling: ) then a pot would be the cheap and easy option and there's nothing wrong with them, they will make great spirit. But if you've got the coin and are keen on the faster output and versatility of a bubbler then go the bubbler, you'll never need another still :handgestures-thumbupleft:

A pot isn't hard to build if your a tinkerer and there are plenty of designs in the pot still section.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby TGB » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:35 pm

A modular pot still from 5 star is a cheap way to get into it really,
Really? from what I saw I needed Thousands of dollars. I cant see any reason for that much money when a T500 can do a similar job. Another fact is why risk thousands of dollars on something that is illegal to own & can be confiscated at any time.

Getting some one to make you a copper pipe pot still head should cost you about $150 i would expect.
Thats what I am looking for, a simple & effective still for a few hundred dollars not a few thousand.
TGB

Postby scythe » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:15 am

Because you asked so nicely with such a humble attitude:
http://www.5stardistilling.net/2-pot-still/

http://www.5stardistilling.net/4-modular-pot-still/

Hardly thousands.
And if you want a t500 by all means go for it I'm not your mum.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby The Stig » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:29 am

TGB wrote:
Really? from what I saw I needed Thousands of dollars. I cant see any reason for that much money when a T500 can do a similar job.

Chalk and cheese here and the T500 can not do what a pot can do and vice versa

TGB wrote: a simple & effective still for a few hundred dollars not a few thousand.

And you need to add in the $400 - $500 for the keg boiler to be welded etc
Nobody ever said that this was a cheap hobby to start up but if you do it right in the beginning you "should" have all your gear for many years to come.
Do it the hard way like I did (as did many others) and it will cost a lot more
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby db1979 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:47 am

TGB wrote:Getting some one to make you a copper pipe pot still head should cost you about $150 i would expect.

Maybe if you had a mate do it for free. The copper, keg, element/s, solder, flux, voltage controller and cables could be sourced from cheap places like scrap dealers, bargains on eBay (I think someone on here got their hands on some $10 kegs recently) and Chinese websites (don't expect the free delivery to be fast). You COULD get all that for around $150. But you would need to be very patient and lucky. Unless you have someone that is willing to work for free then you would need to build it yourself. Many people on here are generous but I doubt they would make an entire still and boiler for free.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Professor Green » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:25 am

TGB wrote:A modular pot still from 5 star is a cheap way to get into it really,
Really? from what I saw I needed Thousands of dollars. I cant see any reason for that much money when a T500 can do a similar job. Another fact is why risk thousands of dollars on something that is illegal to own & can be confiscated at any time.

Thats what I am looking for, a simple & effective still for a few hundred dollars not a few thousand.

Whilst the T500 is a functional still and one that many of us started off with, many of us also outgrew it's capabilities fairly quickly and moved on to bigger, better stills. It can only make neutral spirits and is not suitable for making whisky at all.

The FSD 4" modular pot still will set you back somewhere in the order of $600. Not thousands. They also do a 2" pot still that is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than that. A full 5 plate column with packed section will run a little over $2k. As has already been mentioned, you can start off with the pot still and build up to the plated column by adding components over time. If you don't want to go with a modular approach, you'll need to decide on what you really want to make and then pick an appropriate still with which to do it.

If you're on a really tight budget, your best bet may be to keep an eye out for a bargain in the for sale section as I doubt you'll find someone here to build something for you.

Confiscation of an illegal still should be the least of your concerns. Have a read of this: https://www.ato.gov.au/media-centre/articles/distilling-the-facts-about-illicit-alcohol/ :law-policered:

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Welcome Centre