G'day and some questions

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day and some questions

Postby Dan O'Cker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:49 pm

I'm new to distilling. My first two attempts have been this TPW, distilled through an 'air still' and flavoured with ss essences. The results are passable, with room for improvement. Those of you with experience making spirits, what is the next step for achieving better whiskey? Should I use a different yeast? substitute some sugar with malt? carbon filter? different essences? age with oak chips /dominoes?
I am planning on a new still in 6 months or so, but for now what will produce the best improvements??
Dan O'Cker

equipment: Im a newbie to distilling, and am starting with the simplest still i could find- an air still.

Re: G'day and some questions

Postby Sam. » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:14 pm

Welcome here mate, I moved your post to the welcome centre as this is where first posts should go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Have you read up about cuts? This will improve your spirit dramatically.

The next thing if you want to make whisky is to make a wash that starts as a whisky base not a nuetrel base as the TPW is, plenty in the tried and proven sections ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: G'day and some questions

Postby woodduck » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:39 pm

G'day mate and welcome.

Yep I'd be going for a CFW or WBAB wash for your air still as it is effectively a pot still and will struggle to do neutral properly. With these washes there is no need for flavoring/essences just put it on oak dominos and leave for as long as you can, minimum 6 weeks. I would hop into the newbies corner and have a read around there to get the fundamentals down before rushing into anything.

My next step with a still would be a pot or bubbler if you want whiskey.

Enjoy the new hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre