Another Newbie

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Another Newbie

Postby bigadz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:36 pm

G'day guys and Happy New Year!

I have just inherited my first still from my grandad who's starting to get on in age and slowly winding down so he can enjoy his "retirement". This was his "backup still", an electric Keg boiler with a reflux still (looks like a keggomax CM only by researching pics). Being a wog and knowing someone for everything, (one of my extended relo's for all I know), he's had someone fabricate something for him that he usually uses for making his grappa.

I'm keen to learn from him, but also to learn from the community here on how to turn out some top quality stuff. I've done so much reading on this site just wrapping my head around terms, processes, techniques and general suggestions on how to improve and I gotta say it's so awesome to see a community that is passionate about the hobby and getting behind one another.

I'm already planning on updating everything, turning the keg into a dual element setup, and investing in something like a FSD 4" p modular, BUT I'm always happy to take suggestions from the crew as this is literally my first go at this stuff in the drivers seat and not as a spectator.

Cheers!
bigadz

equipment: 4" 5 plate glass bubbler with FSD neutralizer
Dual 2400w element keg boiler

Re: Another Newbie

Postby coffe addict » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Welcome mate, the two easiest things that make a massive difference are cuts and the wash... Without these being right it'll never be a too drop.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:51 pm

G-day mate and welcome to the fold,sounds like you have some good plans,I am partial to a good grappa with good coffee,keep an eye on the for sale section there has been a few modular stills going lately.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Welcome here Adz, apart from grappa, what do you like to drink? This will help you decide on what type of still will be best :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Professor Green » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Welcome to AD mate.

You can’t go wrong with a 4” modular rig from FSD if you are thinking of going down that road. It may not be the cheapest gear out there but you get what you pay for and you’ll have a rig that will last you a lifetime. The best thing about modular stills is that you can add extra bits as you need to and can configure them differently depending on the particular spririt you want to make at the time. A 4” still on a 50 litre keg boiler is an excellent combo BTW.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby bigadz » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:50 am

Many thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Asking what I like to drink is a hard question! I like neutrals but am really partial to a good gin.

When we make grappa it's essentially making wine then distilling that into the product, so the smell from the bottle is somewhat grapey with only the slightest sweet hit on the tongue.

I'm keen to try making more if this bur using different fruits as the base. The ability to make a high abv neutral but also something that will net me some flavour if I want a change is key for me.

Cheers!
bigadz

equipment: 4" 5 plate glass bubbler with FSD neutralizer
Dual 2400w element keg boiler

Return to Welcome Centre