G'day All

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day All

Postby Nedd » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:44 pm

Howdy Folks
Another noob here
Currently located in NE Victoria
Was down with the family at Xmas and sampled a few tipples of drink that my younger brother had produced and brought with him from WA.
Being a long time brewer (and professional chef) I thought it's about time I test the waters myself.
I have done a bit of research and have made a compromise and purchased an Air Still.
Main reason for such is that I travel quite a bit, from job to job, living in a caravan, and quite often without running water, although power.
Not a huge spirit drinker, but would like to have a play and experiment and learn. After all, distilling is really just another food science, and I love learning new techniques and methods to improve what I dish up to the general public (and myself).
Having purchased my kit, I have initially bypassed the included wash ingredients and opted to go a 25l TPW as my first.
Threw in 6kg white sugar with 2 x 140g tubs of tomato paste along with 100ml lemon juice, 100g dried yeast, and a pinch of epsom salts.
OG read 1.092.
With the hot weather over the past couple of days am having "fun" keeping the temp down, using bottles of frozen water thrown in whenever can between shifts and after work.
this seems to have helped as the wort is still happily bubbling away and SG has dropped to 1.050 over the course of 3 days.
Once it has all but finished I may let it sit and settle for another week or so. Then am planning on a stripping run for a total of 8l or so before proceeding with a spirit run or two.
Whilst I DO realise an Air Still has limitations and compromises, so does my lifestyle, hence my choice.
Looking forward to being an active contributor to your community, as well as learning whatever I can in this hobby.
Cheers
Nedd

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy! :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Nedd

equipment: air still

Re: G'day All

Postby j0sh2008 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:01 am

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

Looks like your off to a good start with the TPW :handgestures-thumbupleft:

There is always new things to learn on here. There is so much knowledge on the forum.
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Postby woodduck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:27 am

Hi mate welcome aboard.

There are a few threads around here about the air still, have a poke around and a read and you'll be fine.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:17 am

Welcome Nedd.

I think there's a few folks here using the air still and there is a fantastic thread somewhere in the newbies section on how to get the best out of it too.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:24 pm

G-day Nedd from small things big things grow,the air still is fine ta start of with,but I grew out of mine after about 12 months,this hobby can be addictive.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Return to Welcome Centre