Gday and some questions from Hoops27

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Gday and some questions from Hoops27

Postby hoops27 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi
I've just joined and have purchased my Grandfathers Turbo 500 still off him. I see they are frowned upon a little here, but I am a firm believer in crawl before you walk and walk before you run. I got really sick of the Turbo stuff and are just running my first TPW batch now as I'm on the forum learning. I really enjoy it, not for the cheap alcohol part but the science and chemistry.

I do have 2 questions. 1- I used the Macstill recipe of TPW, fermented great left for 16 days, will uodated on result. But was 16 days long enough I put my wine/beer hydrometer in and it read at 1.00. If I leave longer do I get a better result?

Question 2 - when tapping it off I got a little tomato paste residue run through. So I tapped it off and strained it through a chux clothe which collected most the slimy stuff. But if I missed some will that hurt the batch.

Regards
Hoops27
hoops27

equipment: t500 still

Re: Gday and some questions from Hoops27

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi Hoops, as it was your first post I moved it here as your welcome thread, so, welcome to the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:

as for the tpw, 16 days is more than enough in summer so 1.00 is all that you'll get, and its not a bad result.
I guess you're using the tap on the fermenter to drain off the wash? I do this for a tpw also but I find that if you drain off the first 50-100 ml into a jar and dispose, then the rest runs nice and clear.
the bit you have may add some burnt flavour but honestly I doubt it'll be anything bad.

Have a good read of the newbies corner for lots of great info.

oh, and I ran a t500 for 2 years, still own it. many of us started there....
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:54 am

:text-+1: on all the above.

Welcome aboard mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Professor Green » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:10 am

Welcome to AD Hoops.

The T500 is not so bad but there are better options out there for the money. Having said that, it does the job and you will be able to make good quality neutral with it however many of us who started with one quickly outgrew it’s capabilites. There is a great thread in the newbie section on how to run a T500 properly for best results. It’s definitely worth reading.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:33 am

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

I agree with all of the above :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Enjoy the new hobby
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:16 am

Welcome hoops.

The T500 isn't necessarily frowned upon, with a good wash and good run strategy it can make a fine neutral.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Return to Welcome Centre