New Member & questions on using Essence

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New Member & questions on using Essence

Postby Dan Murphy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:34 am

Hi, My name is Dan Murphy - (insert questions about the grog shop here) not THAT Dan Murphy. I am looking at getting into home distilling and was thinking of using Essence as i get my still set up. I have heard of using neutral alcohol (Vodka) but i cannot seem to locate any that makes the process cost effective. I was wondering what type of Vodka others use and what price i should be happy to pay.

Thanks All.
Dan Murphy

equipment: Newbie

Re: New Member & questions on using Essence

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:32 am

Gday Dan, the only way to be cost effective is to make your own neutral. Buying retail vodka and adding essences would be a waste of time and money in my opinion.
Are you building a still?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:51 am

Welcome to AD Dan.

:text-+1: on what Doubleuj said.

It would be better to just buy your desired drink than add essences to store bought vodka. What sort of spirits are you looking to make?

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:01 pm

G'day mate and welcome.

:text-+1: with these blokes. Wait till you've got a still up and running and you'll make better than anything you can buy cheap at the liquor store.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 pm

G-day mate,sorry but it sounds like ya need a bit more research,the hobby can be very overwhelming at the start and a lot of misinformation and out of date info on the intermaweb,slow down and read the newbies corner first ,I suppose you could try out essence and buy cheap vodka ,but its not really gonna show how good or bad they are because the voddy will be rough and not as clean as neutral,when I visited some Tassie distilleries ,one or two said they got neutral from CSR the sugar mob ,but I do not think they would sell it to non commercial customers and public,but ya welcome ta try.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Sam. » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:32 pm

Nobody here is going to condone selling home made spirit bud.

If it’s a commercial adventure your chasing then this isn’t the place to be asking those questions.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Otago Elvis » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:06 am

Hi there Dan, to make what you want to do become cost effective, you'll need to make your own vodka.
So grab a fermenter or 2 and put down a TPW. This will be ready to run by the time you sort out your still. By then, you should have had time to get your head around the hobby basics. This site is easy to navigate, but sing out if your struggling :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Otago Elvis

equipment: Potstill

Postby Dan Murphy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:39 am

Doubleuj wrote:Gday Dan, the only way to be cost effective is to make your own neutral. Buying retail vodka and adding essences would be a waste of time and money in my opinion.
Are you building a still?

Hi,

I am looking at building a pot still as what i have read, this is the best way to make some bourbon. Cheers.
Dan Murphy

Postby Dan Murphy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:41 am

Sam. wrote:Nobody here is going to condone selling home made spirit bud.

If it’s a commercial adventure your chasing then this isn’t the place to be asking those questions.

Hi Sam,

I am not looking at a commercial operation. I am just wanting to experiment and start to make something that is nicer than i can buy.

Cheers.
Dan Murphy

Postby ed9362 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:06 am

in my experience, essences are all ordinary.
home made rum and bourbon on the other hand are very nice
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Postby Dan Murphy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am

ed9362 wrote:in my experience, essences are all ordinary.
home made rum and bourbon on the other hand are very nice

Thanks For that. I am slowly learning the processes involved in making the mash and the distilling process. One question that i have not found a complete answer to is, Once the distilled product is captured - how do we get the product to look & taste like a commercial bourbon product?
Dan Murphy

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 am

Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Return to Welcome Centre