Importing NZ Copperhead Still Into AUS OR Other Options

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Importing NZ Copperhead Still Into AUS OR Other Options

Postby spamisnotham » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:56 pm

PeterC I have generally used kegs to ferment beer in so they would be full of crap post fermentation, I just rinse them out and fill the with a solution of caustic soda and water. This strips all organic matter and stops anything growing in it. Then when I need to use it I dump the caustic and rinse well, never had a problem with off flavours.
spamisnotham

equipment: None Currently

Postby PeterC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:19 pm

spamisnotham wrote:PeterC I have generally used kegs to ferment beer in so they would be full of crap post fermentation, I just rinse them out and fill the with a solution of caustic soda and water. This strips all organic matter and stops anything growing in it. Then when I need to use it I dump the caustic and rinse well, never had a problem with off flavours.

Well hot caustic should deal with the oils from botanicals fairly well. For me manual handling is still an issue and I don't have anywhere to dump stuff like caustic solution as I am on septic tanks and the garden is not an option. So I was prepared to spend a bit more on my keg. Everyone finds their own combinations of cost and convenience in this hobby. :-D
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:04 pm

Caustic soda is some evil shit in my mind,used it in the bakery in my younger days and got a few burns and welts,not something I would use or recommend even more so ifn ya have little curiouse sprogs around the house,not something you should play with as blindness is not a funny thing.Your choice just be very carefull and store well away from the little ones.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby bluc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Oxy bleach aka active ingrediant in napisan does an awesome cleaning job. One table spoon per 5l and let it soak. Also acts as a sanitizer. I clean collection bottles buckets plastic cubes boiler and everything else with it, including oven backing trays with baked on crap. Everything then just rinses off with water. Can get it at ebay or home brew shop etc, and is relatively harmless :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Napisan active ingredient is sodium percabonate which is used widely for hobby level brewers.

Caustic soda is sodium hyroxide which is nasty shit as hillz said and used in the commercial industry :-B

For at home I would recommend the sodium percabonate, just about every brew shop will sell a variety of it, or like bluc said an un-scented napisan is basically the same thing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby The Stig » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:17 pm

I use the no frills woolies brand napisan stuff.
Works a treat
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre