Slow fermentation

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Slow fermentation

Postby DeejeyTas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 am

I did a sugar wash 2 weeks ago. Aloctech turbo 48, 9 kg sugar. always worked well in the past this time forgot to take OG but present reading has been 1.030 for 3 days lots of bubbles on surface. Constant temerature at 22degC. Not sure wether to leave it for another week or Rack and do secondary fermentation..Any Ideas??
DeejeyTas

equipment: home made reflux still

Re: Slow fermentation

Postby woodduck » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:21 am

Sorry mate don't know much about turbos but this link might help.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=11307

G'day mate and welcome by the way :greetings-waveyellow:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi mate, welcome, I moved your post here as it was your first.
As for the wash, put your ear to the side of the fermenter and see if you hear fizzing, if not then she’s done. Probably stalled.

Got a pic of your still? We love pics here :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:16 pm

G-day,9kg of sugar per batch is way too much,I never use more than 6kg for a 25-30lt batch,your yeast is stressed with too much sugar and the alcohol level at the end of fermentation starts hurting ya yeast as well,slowing things down and giveing more off flavours,your choice.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Stick with these guys and soon you will be wondering why you ever listened to the home brew shop :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby DeejeyTas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:29 pm

I have been brewing for a few years now and only a newbie to the forum. Have been using Turbo 48 and 9kg sugar for every batch and never a problem until this one stalled. Just looked at the yeast packet and it's close to use by date so maybe thats the reason. anyway have decided to rack off and let sit in secondary fermenattion for a few days then thru he still
Thanks everyone for the replies
Last edited by DeejeyTas on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeejeyTas

Postby DeejeyTas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Hi mate, welcome, I moved your post here as it was your first.
As for the wash, put your ear to the side of the fermenter and see if you hear fizzing, if not then she’s done. Probably stalled.

Got a pic of your still? We love pics here :laughing-rolling:

That wont work coz I am deaf :))
DeejeyTas

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:44 pm

Deejeyras wrote:I have been brewing for a few years now and only a newbie to the forum. Have been using Turbo 48 and 9kg sugar for every batch and never a problem until this one stalled. Just looked at the yeast packet and it's close to use by date so maybe thats the reason. anyway have decided to rack off and let sit in secondary fermenattion for a few days then thru he still
Thanks everyone for the replies

All good mate, all I suggest is you have a poke around this part of the forum, I can guarantee you will find some enlightening information :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby DeejeyTas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks SAM have been browsing thru the forums excellent info and feedback in there. Very enlightening
DeejeyTas

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Whats ya run stratergy when you use your reflux still,strip then spirit or single runs or double distilled,I used that yeast at the start but found after a lot of trials and tasteings,there were better options,no they did not give the same volume per batch but it was a better product,that made giveing up the carbon filter easy too,HBS can be a good place ta start but they all seem ta have tunnel vision towards turbo products , and when one progresses and wants a better option they do not have much ta offer,wich is probably why ya here with the hope to get better results and help solve problems when they arise.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby DeejeyTas » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:57 am

hillzabilly wrote:Whats ya run stratergy when you use your reflux still,strip then spirit or single runs or double distilled,I used that yeast at the start but found after a lot of trials and tasteings,there were better options,no they did not give the same volume per batch but it was a better product,that made giveing up the carbon filter easy too,HBS can be a good place ta start but they all seem ta have tunnel vision towards turbo products , and when one progresses and wants a better option they do not have much ta offer,wich is probably why ya here with the hope to get better results and help solve problems when they arise.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hi Hillzabilly I use an induction coil to heat my boiler which alows me to control pot temperature pretty closely. Also have close control over column head temp so run at full reflux for about 10 mins then bring column head temp up slowly to around 64C and collect heads. Makes great cleaning fluid. Once that is finished increase temp to 78C and collect body. As head temp rises I do the taste test until tails start then collect them seperately to go into next batch. Built my reflux still 12 years ago started with marbles then went to rachid rings and finished up with stainless steel pot scrubbers which work the best I belive. Been thinking about making a vacuum still so that you don't need much heat to boil the wash. With my refrigeration engineering knowledge I reckon I could make a pretty good one.
DeejeyTas

Return to Welcome Centre