New guy...

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New guy...

Postby Finezy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:25 am

Hey ladies and gents.

Everyone calls me Finezy as my username suggests and I am just starting to play around with home distillation.

I built a basic pot still about 18 months ago and ended up running about 20L of basic sugar wash through it and then I moved houses and it got packed up.
Just recently a work mate asked me about it as he loves a rum but due to his financial situation doesn't particularly have the coin to support his tastes, as a result i
have unpacked all my DIY gear and set it all up again and ran 10L of sugar wash again, one thing i have always struggled with is keeping the temp at 80 odd degrees at the top of the column but after playing around doing a bit more copper work, adding the basic 'ccvm' function to it made it work so much better. I can now keep the pot in a rolling boil and keep the temp at exactly 78 degrees (if i want to, Iet it goto 80-82 usually for a bit more speed).

Anyways, I have done shit loads of reading and watched all of Jessie's vids on Youtube (Still It channel) and plan on building my own keg boiler and playing around with still
heads just because I like to experiment. also plan in playing with different washes and sour mashes etc etc.

Cheers guys and look forward to interacting with everyone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Finezy

equipment: Diy pot still

Re: New guy...

Postby woodduck » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 am

Hi mate, welcome.

Keep reading and learning, it's a very interesting hobby that I'm sure you'll enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby ed9362 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:35 am

welcome, did i read somewhere else that you are from geelong?
ed9362

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still kit. A few extra fermenters
2" pot still

Postby Finezy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 am

Sure am, Born and raised here all my life. I commented on a post in the 'For Sale' section.
Finezy

Postby ed9362 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 am

there you go,

i am up the road in bannockburn
ed9362

2" pot still

Postby Finezy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:46 am

Nice, do you have a commercial still or a DIY, only reason I ask is because you might be able to fill me in on the goto places to get
stuff such as Ferrules and Tri-Clamps. I don't use eBay that often as I'm too spontaneous and usually want things when I want it, not a week later if you know what I mean lol.
Finezy

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:52 am

Gday finezy welcome here
Tryfsd for all your ferrules etc
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby ed9362 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:00 pm

my stills are commercial, no special places in geelong to buy stuff. most guys here buy their stuff from five star.
ed9362

2" pot still

Return to Welcome Centre