New Bloke

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: New Bloke

Postby db1979 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:43 am

Two elements are better than one. Use one for heat up and then run off one for your run. Whether you start over or not, I'd get two elements, so either weld two sockets into the other keg or one in your old one.

I'd also get a drain added too. Get at least a 1" drain, otherwise it takes ages to drain. If you don't add a drain you'll have to tip the keg to empty it and that means waiting for it to cool... Which is bloody ages for a boiler mostly full of (mostly) water. Having a drain means you can do back to back runs and smash out heaps on a single day.

Some guys flip the keg and use the 2" opening as the drain. So if you use the new keg, that'll mean you'll need to add a new ferrule to the keg for your still mount.

Get your elements as low as possible so you can still run small volumes. Also, low elements are more efficient as hot fluids rise, low elements take advantage of heat transfer by convection.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Hangman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:01 am

I'm going with the new keg, I want the standard flange, not that brass thing in the current one.

Yeah I can add an element just a matter of buying and fitting. The one I have is 2200w apparently.

Already thought that about a drain, that's on the list.

Low elements, makes sense.

I'm just about to get my other keg out and pull the spear.

Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated.
Hangman

equipment: Livin' La Vida Boka

Postby Hangman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:42 am

One de-speared keg. Yay.
Also, if this stuff should be moved elsewhere on the forum out of the welcome part, let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hangman

Postby db1979 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:54 am

Good work. Did you avoid a face full of stale beer? :laughing-rolling:

This is your thread mate. It's not uncommon for users to continue using their welcome thread as they get themselves set up in the hobby. You may want to start a new thread somewhere else on the forum if you start a still build for example.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Hangman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:11 am

Hahaha yeah mate, I let the pressure out first.

Got some water and vinegar in it now to sit for a bit. Gotta go hit the neighbour up for a hole saw lol.

No worries, will do.
Hangman

Postby Hangman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:33 pm

Hi everyone,
New boiler underway, and a shiny new 2" boka coming from 5 star. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I had some issues ordering through the website, and a big thank you to Andrew for sorting it out via some pm's and a phone call. Cheers for that mate.

Dunno what I'll do with the cranky shit. Definitely repurpose the keg, probably another boiler without brass in it at a later date.

Now just gotta play the waiting game...
Hangman

Postby Andrew » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:54 pm

All good mate, sorry it took a while . Seems everything takes twice as long these days .
And the way AP are going you should have the Boka by Xmas :laughing-rolling:
Cheers
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

Postby Hangman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:30 pm

Yeah it'll get here when it gets here, all good.
Still gotta finish the boiler, so no rush.

Was thinking about using the main bit of the spear as a drain. Just needs an elbow to attach to the bottom of the keg, and a tap/valve.

Apart from maybe draining a little slow, any reason that shouldn't work?
Hangman

Postby db1979 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:39 pm

Can't be as slow as my 1/2" drain, but then it's no big deal if you just drain while you're doing other stuff. I hook mine up to a 12 V high temp pump and pump it straight into the sewage line through the inspection port outside our toilet. While I do that I clean up other stuff from the run. Takes between 5 to 8 minutes depending on the size of the run. If you can repurpose the spear as part of your drain then go for it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

Postby Hangman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:55 pm

Would think the spear diameter would only be around 1/2in, but it's there, it's stainless, and I don't need it, so why not.
I'll have other stuff to do while it drains.

Cheers mate
Hangman

Postby Hangman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:21 pm

Got some stuff today :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Apart from getting a sparky to wire it, are there any specific instructions for the element? And the power controller for that matter.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hangman

Postby The Stig » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:14 pm

Drill a 50mm home and weld on the ferrule.
When when the sparky wires the elements don’t forget to have the seals and gland in place first .
Plug element into controller and plug controller into wall socket
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Hangman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:40 pm

That's a bit of welding for a weldless element lol.

All good, I just looked at the 5 star site and saw the installation pics. I need a clamp for the dome piece of the guard, as per the pics. I take it that's sold separately.

Sparky will sort earth out (I hope lol).
Hangman

Postby Hangman » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Just went and saw a mate about drilling an element hole and fitting a drain to the keg. He owns a fab shop so that will be sorted this week.

And as a bonus, he had an old keg he didn't want so that's mine now :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Hangman

Postby Hangman » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:08 pm

Today's the day that just keeps giving.

My boka turned up this arvo. Weird on a Saturday but I'll take it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Hangman

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:11 pm

Woohoo :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:23 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sounds like you'll be stillin in no time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

Postby Offline » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:43 pm

Don't forget to put a wash/mash down a week or so before you want to fire it up in anger.
Nothing worse than having your new rig ready to run but having nothing (productive anyway) to run through it...

equipment: Pot still

Postby Hangman » Sun May 17, 2020 2:00 pm

G'day all, work hours dropped off with the current situation so spare cash did too.
But, I got my keg back yesterday and trial fitted it all together. Quality gear :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The only setback now is the 32mm hole for the element is apparently only 31mm. So it's gotta go back.
Thinking I'll just get the ferrule welded on and have the element removable. Probably should have done that to start with. Oh well, live and learn.

Cheers.

Pic because why not.
Hangman

Postby RC Al » Sun May 17, 2020 2:58 pm

A toad and a drum kit - too many other hobbies taking precious stilling time mate :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome Centre