Gday from fnq

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Gday from fnq

Postby Smiley » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Gday from fnq
Im a farmer by trade distiller by choice only just started distilling last year have done a few tpw and wanted to move onto something more challenging was rather interested in doing something with sweet potatoes for a sugar source does anyone have a recipe or method from what i understand they should be like a malted grain and have the enzymes necessary to produce sugar from their starches but i dont know much more and frustratingly it seems to be the only fruit/veg missong from the recipe dev. Section any ideas would be appreciated. tia
Smiley

equipment: T 500 reflux

Re: Gday from fnq

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:00 pm

You need to gelatinize first(get the starch into liquid) which I think will kill the enzyme.boil and mash them then add some enzyme or malt to convert the starchs. I doubt there is much starch and it will produce low yield. But may be a fun experiment.. :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 pm

Hey mate, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

Never tryed sweet potato and can't remember reading about anyone doing it. I do remember a bloke doing a pumkin wash/mash, I didn't really read into it as it didn't tickle my fansy. It may be worth a read, may be similar :handgestures-thumbupleft: its in the recipe section somewhere.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby db1979 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:25 am

Welcome mate, sounds like you've got some interesting work ahead of you. Good luck and let us know how you go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Smiley » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks for the advice guys will have to do a few experiments next time i dig some up
Smiley

equipment: T 500 reflux

Postby Shine time » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Hi smiley did somebody say sweet spud oh yeah if your keen for some myth busting I would like know your result
Ok try this get your self a boiling vessel eg beer keg or clean 250 ltrs steel drum cut off the top and some kind of gas burner to boil at least 40 ltrs of water and purchase 5 kg of malted wheet or barly from a home brew store this costs me around $5 a kilo so get $25 worth this has enough diastetic power to convert 20 kg of corn starch so let’s see if can smash the sweet spud starch ,
Step one boil say two buckets of sweet spuds and mash em
Step two add patoto mash back in say 40 ltrs of boiling water (1 tea spoon of gypsum) optional
Step three let cool to 72 deg c add half of the malted wheet and stir with a paint stirrer on a drill
Step four let cool to 65 deg. Add the rest of the malted wheet and stir in and let cool over night covered
Next morning check specific gravity ( iodine starch test) optional
Transfer to 30 ltr fermentor bucket
Air ate the brew and Pitch a yeast starter and seal it up
Take notes because we are on the edge of our seats
If it’s a flop at least you only lost $25 but spent wort does wonders for chickens or pigs
Shine time

equipment: 50mm copper reflux double skin550h collum packed or un packed on 50 ltr ss keg all on gas cooker
Condenser hase 1/2 inch ball valve with hose fittings .

Return to Welcome Centre