Giddy from WA

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Giddy from WA

Postby bristolio » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi all just want to introduce myself as it looks like I may have found a new hobby! So I’ve just started setting up my home brew for beer partly to save some cash and partly cos I like the idea of making my own stuff, this weekend we’ll be putting our first brew down and have been busy collecting crown seal stubbies since Christmas! While I was doing this I thought about getting a still and then I got a book on distilling and then I looked for still plans on the web, then I came across an ozy forum with heaps of info!!

I’ve gotta say forums like this make all the difference for those trying to learn something new and not have a whole heap of rubbish info feed to them so a big thanks to the guys who make it happen. Any way that’s my short story for now till I soak in some more info and start peppering the questions out. When I decide what still to build I’ll get in contact with you guys at 5 star distilling for some quality bits, so far I have a keg and a 3 ring burner and looking to bolt something good to it, gots start somewhere thanks and happy brewing
bristolio

equipment: Nothin at moment looking to build or buy when I get my head around it

Re: Giddy from WA

Postby EziTasting » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:59 pm

Welcome mate.

I like your plan, so far. There is so much info here, you could procrastinate for ages!

I’m still reading in the newbies section, must be slo!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:27 am

Gday mate, what spirits do you like to drink? That will help you with choosing a type of still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:08 am

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Have a good look around before committing to buying a still, many have jumped the gun then found out what they bought wasn't going to make what they wanted.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:55 am

G'day mate and welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

Sounds like your on the right track, don't rush in take your time and it will all make sense :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Welcome to AD bristolio.

You can't go wrong with 5 Star - they'll look after you for sure.

As others have said, have a think about what sort of spirits you want to make before you commit to a still as that will determine the type of still you'll need.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby bristolio » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:26 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! So there will be a bit of procrastination but I like to call it “research and development” with out out much development... As far as spirits are concerned for the most part there’s not much I don’t like, the missus dosnt like liquorice so she won’t touch sambuca or ozzo more for me !! :obscene-drinkingchug:

I’m thinking starting with neutral spirits and doing the essence thing for a run or two to get the basics right then having a crack at flavoured spirits. I’m pretty fond of darker rums and don’t mind most whiskeys also. So far I’ve worked out I don’t want to spend hours and hours running a still so I’m leaning towards a basic plate bubbler 4” still that I can add packing to. I’m not to concerned with bling at moment just functional. Priced some copper today and my fears were confirmed so I’ll be getting my ducks in a row before a grinder goes near anything! So many questions to ask but I’ll read the topics though and I recon most will come out of that. I’d post a picture of my build up but I recon most of you guys have seen a keg before enjoy your night guys I’ll be delving into the depths of moonshine
bristolio

equipment: Nothin at moment looking to build or buy when I get my head around it

Postby Professor Green » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:35 pm

It's definitely worth taking your time and working out exactly what you want. That being said, a 4" bubbler with a packed section will pretty much cover all bases from flavoured "brown" spirits to neutral and even gin. Make it modular so you can assemble the parts specifically for whatever type of run you want to do and you're laughing. It's like Lego for boozemaking!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby bristolio » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:44 pm

I always liked lego sounds so very good!
bristolio

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Professor Green wrote:It's definitely worth taking your time and working out exactly what you want. That being said, a 4" bubbler with a packed section will pretty much cover all bases from flavoured "brown" spirits to neutral and even gin. Make it modular so you can assemble the parts specifically for whatever type of run you want to do and you're laughing. It's like Lego for boozemaking!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

:text-+1:
If you want to make it all and make it well (and fast) 4” bubbler is the way.
As for building vs buying I’d ask myself these questions if I had my time again

1. If I knew building a still costs almost as much as buying as FSD still would I just save up and buy one?
2. In the last year, when trying something new, have I wanted to throw it against the wall in frustration...

If your answers are both yes, just buy a still.

But, we do love a good build thread here.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bristolio » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:34 pm

Doubleuj wise word from someone who’s been there before and I hear you cos I’ve been down this road before with about everything else but a still! Some I’ve won some not so much..

I recon I’ll find out what still I will be best off in the long term with then price it up, if I don’t gain from building it myself it’s hard for me to justify mainly because it takes the guesswork out of it but then you won’t get a good build thread! Sometimes I think I’m a sucker for punishment so I’ll first look into a build to see if it’s worth my while, there’s a scrap metal pile I need to consult before I make my mind up thanks for advice though it’s been considered much appreciated
bristolio

Return to Welcome Centre