Hello from Tassie

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from Tassie

Postby ac3000 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi Guys,
Great site and a goldmine of info- a credit to those that run it.

Been at it for a number months and haven't had as much fun since I discovered girls (a very long time ago).

Brought a T500 as wasn't sure what I was getting into (and I thought a store brought item would be easier to move on if it didn't suit me). Working on turning the T500 boiler into a pot still and building something off a keg.

Hate to ask on my first post but as I've scored 3m of 3" copper and 2x 3" tees I'm keen to start on a build for a 3" Nixon Stone and am struggling to find a specific 3" design or information on how to scale up 2" plans (found plenty of diagrams for 2")- any links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Been out picking Sloe berries this morning and hoping to get some macerating shortly- will post how it goes.
Sloe berries March 2018.JPG

Nice to be here- thanks for the opportunity to participate.
AC3000
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ac3000

equipment: Column reflux still

Re: Hello from Tassie

Postby Professor Green » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Welcome to AD mate.

I can’t help you with your build question as I’m pretty much all thumbs so I use off the shelf equipment but there’s plenty of folks here with the know how to help you and I’m sure they’ll chime in soon.

Those berries look great. I’m looking forward to seeing your results.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Nino » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:47 am

Professor Green wrote:Welcome to AD mate.

I can’t help you with your build question as I’m pretty much all thumbs so I use off the shelf equipment but there’s plenty of folks here with the know how to help you and I’m sure they’ll chime in soon.

Those berries look great. I’m looking forward to seeing your results.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

:text-+1:
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:39 pm

G-day and welcome ,what is your drink of choice as that will determine the type of still ya need,have you visited any distilleries in Tassie as you could learn a bit from them ,Larks I found very informative and helpful with being very open about their methods as well.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby ac3000 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Sloes should be around for another week so I'm hoping to get some more next weekend- will keep you posted.

Been itching to have a crack at condenser coil and finally got it pretty much done today- thanks for all the excellent advise and tips that have been posted. Certainly are some very talented people out there!
condensor 2.JPG

Condensor.JPG

Knocked up a winder based on others posted, and the the way they work.The pvc pipe was supposed to be a template so I could get a get a steel one together- but it worked anyway!
Rig.JPG

Due to an excess in enthusiasm, and a dumb lack of measuring, it will be a snug fit in the 3" tube- will this be an issue? I can ditch the outer coil and add a cold finger if it will be? (I'm also a bit concerned it may be to big- and make the still too tall??)

Mainly been doing neutrals for gin/ vodka (and tried a few differing HBS flavours)- trying some fruit macerations as well. Hoping a Nixon Stone, with a tri-clamp below the reflux return pipe, would also work as a pot with the bulk of the column removed (I'm turning the T500 boiler into a pot so its not a big concern).

Went to Larks the other week, and going to check another one out locally in the next week or so- guys at Larks were great. (Supposed to be about 18 distilleries in Tassie now).

Comments appreciated.
Cheers
AC3000
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ac3000

equipment: Column reflux still

Postby RC Al » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Shooting from the hip here, it looks too big, but the Nixon stone setup runs best with the r/c water temp hot, the hotter the returned reflux, the more likely it will revaporize before getting back to the boiler, thereby increasing efficiency - you should have a higher output rate
How much power are you planning to throw at it?
Some scrubbies up the center may remove the need for a coldfinger
Last edited by RC Al on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi mate and welcome.

Sorry can't help with the nixon stone, I know very little about them. The condenser does look pretty long but not sure if thats good or bad though. I don't think it will matter if it's a tight fit, it will still cool the area around it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre