Another Taswegian

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Another Taswegian

Postby Dunnonuthin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:52 am

Big thank you to all that have shared their knowledge on this site.
I have gained, in a few weeks, knowledge that would have taken years to accumulate by experience alone.
And I would have given up long before that.
The result is I just built a BOKA, and on my first run was producing an honest 94.5% spirit.
Yeah, I used a turbo wash. (I had an idea, got excited, bought it and my copper, THEN sat down to do more reading. :roll: )
But that’s the only regret.
Thanks again everyone.
:text-thankyoublue:
Dunnonuthin

equipment: 50L boiler
2" Boka
4" Bubbler
10L Gin Pot

Re: Another Taswegian

Postby Professor Green » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:41 am

Welcome Dunnonuthin.

Good to hear your first run went well for you.

The good news is that your turbo run is not wasted as you would have needed to do a sacrificial cleaning run to get the flux and crud out of the still before you do an actual drinkable spirit run anyway. Whatever you don't drink any of the product that came from that run. Keep it for your next still cleaning run and put down a TPW or WBAB for your next spirit run and you'll have a top notch neutral/vodka.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Dunnonuthin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:02 am

Thanks Prof. Green, all over the cleaning run thing, thanks to this site.
Was just annoyed I spent the money on the turbo & dextrose, for a stinky wash.
Was not a pleasant aroma when I opened the fermenter. Then had a tiny vapor leak as the boiler warmed up, the banana stink filled my whole garage before I could fix it. That stink put any idea of another turbo out of my head.
Got a couple of tpw going, if they’d only finish already. 9 days and still bubbling strong.....they took off strong, and are warm enough at 20-23 degrees.
Dunnonuthin

2" Boka
4" Bubbler
10L Gin Pot

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:27 am

Gday mate, welcome here, your tpw might be done already, the airlocks can lie, check your final gravity and if it’s .990 your good to go. Leaving it settle for a few days is good though until it’s a nice pale pink.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:09 pm

Welcome here bud :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

Sounds like your off to a good start. The boka although slow it will make a bloody nice neutral. They can also be used as a makeshift pot if you take the packing out and fully open the output tap :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Dunnonuthin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Boka's seem slow, as I have I found out for myself. And yep, I built the Boka setup so I can remove the head, cap the column, hook up a Liebig condenser to a takeoff port on the top of the unpacked column, and run her as a pot.
Did a pot stripping run the other night, taking off a litre in about 17min at 60% through the hearts. I've got nothing to compare against, but that seems OK to me...
2 more stripping runs tomorrow, then the spirit run when I can.
I'm trying to estimate how much time to set aside for the spirit run? (3 x 25L TPW's)
Dunnonuthin

2" Boka
4" Bubbler
10L Gin Pot

Return to Welcome Centre