New to the game

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New to the game

Postby Hendo 77 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:52 pm

Hey guys I thought i would say Hi as i will be on this site quite a bit from now on . I'm keen to start as soon as i have enough knowledge. At this stage i have not bought anything ,
yet have been searching the net and gumtree to see whats on offer. I want to make vodka .
A brand new turbo 500 with copper condenser for about 550 online seems quite tempting to get the ball rolling.
What do ya reckon
Seems like a great site . Cheers guys
Hendo 77

equipment: 50 lt keg boiler
Reflux still

Re: New to the game

Postby woodduck » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

You've done the right thing in researching before buying :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a T500 just saying you should read up for a week or two and make sure your making the right purchase.

You say you want to make neutral but for what reason? For vodka and macarations or to put flavors in? It's best to work towards what you like to drink and if you like whiskey more than vodka you may decide on a pot. If you want vodka then go for a reflux :handgestures-thumbupleft: if you want both maybe a bubbler is in your future.

Have a look at 5 star they sell great stills and will have a still for whatever you want to make.

Enjoy the learning curve mate it's a very rewarding hobby.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sam. » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Welcome mate and :text-+1: on Woody’s advice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Plumby » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Welcome aboard mate :greetings-waveyellow:
Knowing what you like to drink makes still choice easier,if you like brown spirits such as rum, whiskey or scotch then a simple pot still might be your best choice, see here
viewforum.php?f=7
If you are keen on vodka then a reflux still might be your best choice, see here
viewforum.php?f=8.
If you want to make both then a plated column still with a removable packed section might be your best choice, see here
viewforum.php?f=36.
If you aren't confident in making your own still or you just want the best money can buy look here
http://www.5stardistilling.net/.
The web site might say out of stock or not available, best to give them a call and they will help you out.
Anyway enjoy the journey man, its a hell of a ride :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby db1979 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:45 pm

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Gday mate, all amazing info straight off the bat from my mates above, I started with a t500, ran her for a couple of years before finding this forum and quickly upgrading to a bubbler. The t500 does a good job for what it is, if ran correctly, but it’s slow.
It’s a good place to start however, a way to find out if this is the hobby for you. And if it is, then upgrade to a better still.!
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Professor Green » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Welcome Hendo.

The guys are all over this!

Definitely a good idea to research and find the right still for your needs before you layout out any money. The T500 is an OK still but many folks outgrow it's capabilities very quickly.

Decide what kind of spirits you want to make first then you can chose the correct still for the job. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Hendo 77 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Thanks guys for the replys and well wishes . I definitely have my heart set on vodka. Both the missus and I quite like it and drink a bit of it. So I can see a return on my capital in the short term. I may do the odd bourbon but not too often. vodka 80 + percent of the time. I'm like a little kid again , I just want to buy something and have a go but am trying to hold off.
A mate of a mate distils and I am going to try his vodka later in the week and look forward to my first try of home made spirits. Cheers guys
Hendo 77

equipment: 50 lt keg boiler
Reflux still

Return to Welcome Centre