New to the game part two

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New to the game part two

Postby Hendo 77 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:02 pm

Guys the replies have been great and everything taken on board.
But a bit more info that ill put out there in case it influence the feedback .
The missus and I enjoy a drink almost every night OK every night
We have a few beers then a coupla vodkas. We very rarely get rowdy as we are young parents and blah blah blah WE LIKE A DRINK
This is an expensive hobby. 3lts a week at 50 per LT starts to add up
Rather than convert to wine or other cheaper drinks , I have decided to make my own. I think ill enjoy the process as that's the sort of thing I get into , it seems challenging aswell
I believe the out lay will pay for itself in the short to mid term . I don't mind buying something that will teach me the rope yet least me a while which keeps me coming back to the
Turbo 500. SO really I'm after a commercial made still ,that will suit making vodka for someone with no experience
I will consume 80% + vodka so thats my main priority .What is the correct set up for this , that is easy enough for a newbie with no guidenance
If I can use a set up for a year for less than a grand and then possibly upgrade from there doesn't sound too bad to me
I feel this is one of those thing where once you go thru the learning curve and it doesn't put you off , you will find a great hobby that also save you a few bucks aswell
All replies are appreciated Thanks guys
Hendo 77

equipment: 50 lt keg boiler
Reflux still

Re: New to the game part two

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:18 pm

As young parents you have to consider time to make the spirit alao. At 3l week you will be constantly fermenting stilling with a t500 seriously consider outlaying for a bubbler wich will produce at 2 2.5l hour. It will be expensive up front but you will very quickly recoup cost via the spirits you make as apposed to buying it..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Plumby » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Honestly man, talk to Alan or Sue at 5 star
http://www.5stardistilling.net
If you want to buy a still they are the people to talk to. Ask about the Boka still, its a great vodka/neutral alcohol making making still. Put it on a 50 litre beer keg and get a power controller for it and you will still have change out of your $1000 investment.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby warramungas » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:31 am

:text-+1:
If vodkas your game a boka style would be your best bang for buck choice.
Plates are great but cost is prohibitive and they're not really the best for vodka.
If you brew a hundred liter batch of tpw or similar that will give you around 10 liters of 100% neutral which will take all day to run but gives you 25 liters at 40%. Realistically after tails heads and fores more like 20 liters but that should see ya right for a couple of days! :))
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby woodduck » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:27 am

I'm thinking that with the volume your after you will want to go bigger than a 2" boka, more like a 4" one. Are you handy? Do you have some basic tools? If so you could make a boka yourself.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre