Hi and a question about macs bwko

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi and a question about macs bwko

Postby justme632000 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi I am really new to brewing with my pot still and want to give your Bourbon Whiskey a go, but all the whiskey recipe's I have read have used some yeast. Have you omitted yeast or is it not used in this case.
To another subject would you please elaborate on your use of stripping run, you will have to excuse a young 77y/o but I need to make my own as the pension dosen't allow me to buy in the store anymore.
Thanking you in advance of any help you may give, yours, Ian.
justme632000

equipment: pot and thumper

Re: Hi and a question about macs bwko

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum. I moved your post to the welcome centre as it was your first post.
Yes, you will need to add yeast as this is still a sugar head wash, 20-50g rehydrated in some Luke warm water with a tsp of sugar. I’m sure it’s been mentioned somewhere in the discussion thread.
All the best and enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:23 pm

MacStill wrote:

I usually dump the lot into 20L boiling water to soften the grains and invert the sugar, leave it for a couple of hours, stir it up good and dump it in the fermenter then top up to 30L with cold water and add about a quarter cup of yeast.

Found your answer in the original recipe, quarter cup of yeast.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:16 pm

Welcome here mate, yes every wash you create will need some form of yeast to ferment to produce alcohol.

Lowans bakers yeast (red can at woolies) is a good start and you can move on to more speciality yeasts later if you so desire.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi mate, welcome aboard.

The bwko is a nice drink, I'm sure you'll be happy with it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre