Gday

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Gday

Postby StilPhil » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi,
Done some home brew over the years with mixed success.
Did the Giniversity course at Limeburners Margaret River recently and interested in trying my own recipes for gin and vodka.
Based in Perth.
Joined this forum to get more info on methods and equipment. First thoughts are that the copper Turbo 500 look like a decent option to start with.

Cheers
Phil
StilPhil

equipment: None yet. Looking at options

Re: Gday

Postby effque » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:28 am

Welcome to the forums im new here too

i stopped in at the other limeburners i think in albany along my travels they make some great spirits
effque

equipment: 50L keg boiler 4" sight glass 2" copper modular reflux/pot 2x2200W elements 2" shotty
2 beer kegs for storage or low wine collection
35L of 5L glass jars
25L french oak barrel made from an ex muscat barrel

Postby andybear » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:11 pm

Welcome mate. The turbo 500 is a popular starting point. As it was for me too. My biggest down side was the speed. It's so slow. Do your research before purchasing.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Gday mate
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:53 pm

G-day and welcome to another Westy,ifn ya research well and read thru the newbies centre,you will make a well informed choice ,do not do what I did and get a desighn or choice in ya head without good research,PPPPPP proper prep prevents piss poor performance,and dissapointment,make sure it meets your needs and the production volume,otherwise you may end up a very unhappy camper and waste ya hard earnt coin.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby db1979 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Welcome to the forum :greetings-waveyellow:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Professor Green » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Welcome Phil.

:text-+1: on hillzbilly's advice. Do your research before you purchase anything and you'll avoid costly mistakes others have made before you and you'll end up with the best still for your purposes.

Some things to consider are:
  • Budget.
  • How much time and room you have to devote to making spirits.
  • How handy you are with tools - this will determine whether you can make your own still or whether you are limited to something off the shelf
  • What kind of spirits you ultimately want to make

One other thing to consider since you mentioned you're looking at making Vodka and Gin is, for vodka you'll need a reflux still and for gin, depending on what method you want to use, you'll need either a pot still or reflux still you can remove the packing from, or to start out with a modular still that you can configure for whatever spirit you're making at the time.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby StilPhil » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Professor Green wrote:Welcome Phil.

:text-+1: on hillzbilly's advice. Do your research before you purchase anything and you'll avoid costly mistakes others have made before you and you'll end up with the best still for your purposes.

Some things to consider are:
  • Budget.
  • How much time and room you have to devote to making spirits.
  • How handy you are with tools - this will determine whether you can make your own still or whether you are limited to something off the shelf
  • What kind of spirits you ultimately want to make

One other thing to consider since you mentioned you're looking at making Vodka and Gin is, for vodka you'll need a reflux still and for gin, depending on what method you want to use, you'll need either a pot still or reflux still you can remove the packing from, or to start out with a modular still that you can configure for whatever spirit you're making at the time.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Thanks for the welcome.

The whiskies from Albany were a surprise, did a couple of weeks in Tassie in November and was not expecting a better drop to be made in WA. The other half got me a bottle of Darkest Winter for my 50th. Spoilt!

Budget, decent - the missus is a gin lover. She did Giniversity with me, so doing more because we want to, not to save dollars. Though it will likely pay for itself at our normal rate of consumption.

Time, that’s an issue usually home about sixish and up at five, so asleep by ten. Not a lot of time at night. So really only weekends for long runs. Space well I have a decent deck and a spare bathroom.

After reading about the T500 on here I will give 5Star a call as the 2” BoKa could be a good option.
Definitely heavy on the Gin. I like a good whisky when in the mood, but not a fan of some of the nasties I have tried, and I reckon I will be kissing a lot of frogs. So rather buy a setup to suit Gin making.

Tools, well not super great tbh. Woodwork ok, but never welded or did any metalwork.
StilPhil

Postby StilPhil » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:22 pm

andybear wrote:Welcome mate. The turbo 500 is a popular starting point. As it was for me too. My biggest down side was the speed. It's so slow. Do your research before purchasing.

Yeah my research has been useful. The T500 is hyped up a lot. A bit like coffe machines. I ended up with a lemon before my current Rocket.
StilPhil

Postby Professor Green » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:47 pm

The 2” Boka is great for neutrals but is very slow. You could do that and add a 2” pot still for your gin if you wanted to keep things compact. I think a 4” modular still on a 50 litre boiler is an ideal rig for what you want to do but it does require an area with plenty available height.

Definitely give 5 Star a call and have a chat to Sue or Allan, tell them what you want to achieve and they’ll see you right. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:05 pm

G'day mate and welcome to the forum.
Plenty of great advice above. Spend some time reading and you'll know what still suits you before long :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre