New Member from Tas

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New Member from Tas

Postby Katandadd » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:29 am

Hi All,
I have been reading the forum for a couple of months now and decided to join up. I have been brewing all grain beer for a couple of years and I am currently working through (drinking) batch #83. A mate of mine purchased an Air Still, and I offered to run it for him (he has gone away for 9 months), to give me a start in the the hobby and like brewing, I was hooked instantly.

I am now planning to build a pot still that I can add to my 40L electric brew kettle. :D

I have been making the WeetBix wash, and I have been thinking about throwing in some of the spent grains from a beer mash. I think this would sour the wash and add more grain flavors, what do you think?

Adam.
Katandadd

equipment: Air still

Re: New Member from Tas

Postby dans.brew » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:06 am

Welcome Adam :handgestures-thumbupleft:
This hobby hooks you in very quickly... before you know it you are trying heaps of new recipes.
83 batchs of beer in a couple years is a pretty good effort!
Using some òf the spent grain should work good i would think... one of the mentors might know more than me though.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Professor Green » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:29 am

Welcome Adam.

Your all grain brewing skills will come in might handy for whiskies that's for sure.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Katandadd » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi Dans & Professor,
Yes whiskey is where it is at for me at the moment. I am just doing a spirit run now from my first mash using 100% Gladfield distillers malt. I am interested in what flavours I am going to get before I start making recipies like I do with beer.
Katandadd

equipment: Air still

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Welcome Mate, you can make a tasty sugarhead whiskey with spent grain, I use a 60L fermenter chuck 4kg or so of the grain into it, dissolve 4kg of sugar with 5l of hot backset, add 20L good quality water then the sugar/backset mix. I use new yeast but you could reuse the lees from the AG. This makes a acceptable mixer to drink while waiting for the AG to age. Interested to hear how the gladfeild malt turns out, Im going to start using it soon. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby woodduck » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi mate, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

Sounds like your off to a solid start :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre