G’day - Methonal

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G’day - Methonal

Postby Benroyals » Fri May 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi guys I’m new to this forum.
I’ve only started recently getting serious about making genuine whiskey,
I’m having trouble finding reliable good information about testing the spirit for the presences of methonal,
I know by distilling that we take it out but I’m still really cautious about it.

One method I found was using sodium dichromate and sulfuric acid with 10ml of alcohol in a test tube.
What method do you guys use for testing the presence of methonal?
Last edited by Sam. on Fri May 04, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benroyals

equipment: Pot still and reflux

Re: Methonal

Postby Otago Elvis » Fri May 04, 2018 10:38 pm

Cuts
Otago Elvis

equipment: Potstill

Re: Methonal

Postby db1979 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:57 pm

The dichromate test depends on your ability to detect the smell of methanal which is an aldehyde formed in the reaction. Ethanol in the reaction forms ethanal and is supposed to have a different smell. I doubt this test would be very reliable. It's important to do cuts anyway (not just to avoid methanol) so you may as well put the effort into trying to learn the difference between smells of the different cuts. Just like otago said.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Re: G’day - Methonal

Postby Sam. » Fri May 04, 2018 11:01 pm

Moved your post here mate where all first posts should go.

Also unless your fermenting fruit your methanol content will be slim and dealt with your fores cut :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Minpac » Sat May 05, 2018 8:33 am

Most of us don't detect it as it's difficult/messy to do chemically. But it's boiling point is much lower than the alcohol you want to collect - so it comes off the still first. Make sure you make your foreshots cut (say 150ml from a 50L batch) as this contains all the methanol (in a grain based wash) when you run slowly.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby warramungas » Sat May 05, 2018 10:45 am

:text-+1:
Smells are subjective though I'm not familiar with the dichromate test.
I mean I think my farts don't have any smell but my family strongly disagrees.
Without lab equipment its very hard to test adequately for methanol presence.
Guaranteed it will be there but in quantities so small you'll probably need a gas chromatograph to detect them in the body of the wash.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby wynnum1 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:15 am

Methanol is cured by the ethanol that is how they treat poisoning depending what you make it will have some Methanol the cuts do not remove all the Methanol completely but what you keep has a very low level which is made safe by the high ethanol content just do not drink or store the crap alcohol without marking as poison some put a dye .Methanol is converted by your body that is what causes the problem and its natural to have a very small amount but you only need a small quantity to cause harm if drunk on its own.. That is probably why its no used as a fuel for cars too easy to abuse plus exhaust fumes could be lethal.
wynnum1

Return to Welcome Centre