Learning fast

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Learning fast

Postby Adder5 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Hello from Perth
So not really much of a drinker any more, but needed a hobby as I do fifo work and when home it is just me and the kids and I was bored shitless once they were all in the rooms on Netflix and phones. This seemed like a good hobby.
so far my first attempt was a fail, not that I knew at the time. But armed with a lot of reading from your forum ..... yep definite fail. I was shown how to do it by a Mate, just keep boiling till you get 10. 12 litres. I will filter it while you are at work for you. Get home next break, pick it up. He calls me to ask what it was like and I said smells like rocket fuel. I don’t think I need to say more, you get the picture.

On to this site.
I started reading through all the posts on various things, then I found the 60 page TPW post. Read it all and learnt lots.
But something that struck me, unlike any other forum I have read, is how nice and helpful everyone is. So used to reading dirogotive comments on forums, rude, abusive.
Everyone on here has the patience of saints. It is such a huge credit to all of you. Just a great site.
Thanks for letting me be part of it.
Adder5

equipment: 25 lt Reflux

Re: Learning fast

Postby Sam. » Sun May 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Welcome here mate, sounds like your in your way.

The moderators here are very effective at weeding out people that have no respect for others or the forum rules :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby hillzabilly » Sun May 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Welcome Adda,from another Perthian,I am glad ya like our little corner of the world,just normal peeps lookin ta make their own quality gear,my own progress was very slow until I reached out to the forum ,and I am sure with your attitude it will not be long befor your results improve dramatically.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby dans.brew » Sun May 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Welcome Adder! :greetings-waveyellow:

You've come to the right place if you want to learn about a great hobby.
As the old saying goes..."You get out of it what you put in"
If everyone puts a bit of good into the site, there will loads of good stuff for everyone to get from it.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Professor Green » Sun May 06, 2018 4:02 pm

Welcome Adder.

There is sooo much to learn here it can be hard to know where to start. Spend some time in the beginners section, it is a goldmine of information. I'm sure you'll get information overload so take it slowly and re-read it a few times if you need to. Of specific interest will be the the thread on cuts - it'll make a big difference to the quality of your final product. Before you do that though, get a TPW on and fermenting. By the time it's done you'll be armed with the knowledge to improve your results 10 fold.

Which 25 litre reflux still have you got BTW? is it a DIY job or off the shelf?

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Sun May 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Welcome Adder.

It's great to have the positive feedback.

Start slow mate, keep it simple and don't overwhelm yourself. Just like the prof said start with a TPW and go from there. Once you've got a few runs under your belt you'll branch out into different washes and practices. Get the foundation skills right first and you won't go amiss :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Adder5 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:28 am

Thank you for all the welcoming reply’s,
I am unsure of the type of still I have a bought it second hand, it has OZ brew sticker at the top.
I have currently just run through 50 litres of my very last turbo wash, and I am all set to put on 75 Litres of TPW before going back to work.
I have stuck to the most general ingredients that a lot of members are using from what I read on the TPW pages.
I might need to pick up some heat mats though, if I want it ready by the time I get home next.

Thanks again
Adder5

equipment: 25 lt Reflux

Return to Welcome Centre