Questions for aussie residents on some specific requirements

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Questions for aussie residents on some specific requirements

Postby StillDrinkn » Wed May 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi all, been a member of homedistiller for many years and just recently got back on the bus for stilling. I've decided to make some modifications to my boiler. I was using a 50 litre keg and lpg setup, but I've decided to go electric, As such I've acquired a new keg with a 2" tri clamp fitting on top. I'm going to braze a s/s fitting to my 2" column to attach it to my keg - that all seems straight forward enough. But my boiler is where the questions start...

I see the 'weldless' 2200w heating elements are popular (?) But I wanted to tig a threaded s/s fitting to my keg for a couple of reasons, not least of which is that I don't like the way in which it seals, also i've got other tig welding to do, so I may as well do it all at once... what alternatives am I looking at for that?

Also I want to put a 4" access hole for cleaning purposes halfway down the keg, Since I'm already there with a cap, I figure i'll put a sight glass/cap on, but I don't seem to be able to find a local supplier for that, can someone point me in the right direction please?

Finally I plan to put another threaded fitting on the bottom for a ball valve drain. I was planning to use a 3/4 ball valve, but I would like member's input on this and any other considerations I should make in making my broiler. All suggestions will be considered.

Thanks very much for having me. And I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Cheers!

StillDrinkn. :text-thankyoublue:
StillDrinkn

equipment: LM/VM Reflux

Re: Questions for aussie residents on some specific requirem

Postby RC Al » Wed May 09, 2018 5:17 pm

Hey, welcome, no doubt this will get moved the the intro's section :)

The almost defacto standard on here is to flip your keg, use the 2" as your drain and weld the 4" on top, 6" if you have large forearms (reducer needed at additional expense of course)

Going the way you have said, consider putting the 4" port at the top, so you can use it as a fill port

Elements - Most of us are limited by available amps on each circuit on the property, check out the elements with 6 pins at the back, each pair can be connected to a separate power circuit. Depending upon wattage, you may need an ssr power controller for each one or have 2 on switches and one controlled one

Plenty of hints and tricks in the boilers section :handgestures-thumbupleft:
viewforum.php?f=49
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Lowie » Wed May 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Welcome mate.
:text-+1: what he said I flipped mine upside down. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
For the element you can weld a ferrule on the keg, cheaper that buying weldless and just as easy if you're going to tig the other stuff. I run a 2400W which is two pin and heats 40L up in about 40 mins.
If the 5 Star shop doesn't have the 4" sight glass or 4" cover plate there are other local suppliers that do...
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Doubleuj » Wed May 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi mate Welcome to Aussiedistiller.
As RCAl guessed I did move your post here as it’s customary to have a welcome thread all to yourself.
I didn’t flip my keg as I wanted to keep some of the handle up top if I needed to lift it.
Think I’ve got a 3/4 drain on mine and it empties in probably under a minute.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby warramungas » Wed May 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Welcome bud.
2400 watts are good as its max bang for your buck.
Also 5* sell a tri clamp kit for elements which is another option instead of welding a socket on.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby StillDrinkn » Wed May 09, 2018 7:00 pm

I've checked out the 5star site. The items I want are 'out of stock' but after checking other items, it appears everything is 'out of stock'. I am going to go to ballarat tomorrow to get what I need. I don't want to flip my keg, as my column is 2" already.

I understand that 5star has exclusive advertising rights, but to be completely honest I'm quite reserved to buy from a supplier that has the market cornered in such a way in any case... I encourage competition as I myself am a small business owner and I feel competition keeps everyone honest and competetive.

The heating elements; is there a standard bsp sized socket I should get? Being a plumber I can get an element at trade price, but the ones I have seen tend to be stainless instead of copper. Also I would like a thermostat or voltage controller. I also intend on installing 2 elements. Current draw isn't an issue for me.

I understand that this has probably been covered before, but I've already spent several hours reading today and these are the questions I haven't had answered.
StillDrinkn

Postby woodduck » Wed May 09, 2018 7:20 pm

5 star have exclusive advertising rights because Mac started this forum and his business foots the bills to keep it running. He is honest and fair, I'venever heard anyone say different. I've found their prices to be very competitive and they come with after sales service. If your looking for cheap parts you'll get them but as we all know you get what you pay for.

Welcome by the way :greetings-waveyellow:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Plumby » Wed May 09, 2018 7:24 pm

woodduck wrote:5 star have exclusive advertising rights because Mac started this forum and his business foots the bills to keep it running. He is honest and fair, I'venever heard anyone say different. I've found their prices to be very competitive and they come with after sales service. If your looking for cheap parts you'll get them but as we all know you get what you pay for.

Welcome by the way :greetings-waveyellow:

:text-+1:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby RC Al » Wed May 09, 2018 7:30 pm

I have only found one active forum like this to do with distilling that isnt something to do with a commercial enterprise
I can assure you that 5 Star hasn't got a monopoly on still parts in Australia, they have plenty of competition both here and overseas. They do seem to need to get their act together with updating the stock levels on their web site though, I think they are very busy doing commercial scale gear atm - Give em a call....
Your -generally- looking at a 4 week wait from china to get better pricing though - as a tradie you have access to prices on some stuff we dont... but some of what we use aint on the shelf at reece either

Your going to have to work out which element your going to use for the thread, 1.5bsp is common though
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby StillDrinkn » Wed May 09, 2018 8:20 pm

I gave Allan a call and I take it back, what a top guy and more than happy to help out even at 8 o'clock at night.

He said that their elements are 1" BSP, but even if I go 1.5 BSP, I can get a reducing bush that can accomodate other elements if I need.

That just about sorts me out for now. I'll update once I've made some progress on welding. Thanks for the help thus far :dance:

StillDrinkn :happy-partydance:
StillDrinkn

Postby A&O » Sun May 13, 2018 2:17 am

Just to give you an idea, this is my keg. 2x 4” ferrules on the top & 2x 1” sockets welded in back so the elements are parallel with each other.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Return to Welcome Centre