Hi from Hoddo

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Hi from Hoddo

Postby hoddo59 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 am

woodduck wrote:Nah you've taken me the wrong way mate that's why I said I don't want to sound like an asshole because I don't want to sound like one cause I'm not one. I was trying to say that knowing something doesn't mean you understand it. I could give you a list of parts to build a car, does that mean you can build a car? I want you to understand the art and science of distilling not just the how to. I wanted you to do some more reading so you could expand your knowledge so you would be a far better distiller in the long run. I won't go into it any further as I don't want to upset you any more than I already have.

A voltage controller will allow you to slow down a spirit run on a still so you don't smear the different fractions and give you a shit tasting drink.

Just a couple threads from the newbies corner

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=11077

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3541

My apologies for any offence I may have caused, was not my intention.

No problems mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Thanks for the links. Just need some help being pointed in the right direction. cheers Hoddo
hoddo59

equipment: secondhand T500

Postby db1979 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:10 am

There's a lot to learn in this hobby and for most of it there's no substitute for lots and lots of reading and eventually it'll click and make sense. Getting your head around the basics is tough enough, but then trying to learn how a bubbler works is a whole new level! One step at a time.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby scythe » Thu May 31, 2018 11:27 am

Asking questions is a great thing to do, it can stop you wasting your money time and enthusiasm.

But before you ask a question see if you can condense the info you want to find out and then think about search terms that might help you find the answers to your question.

I've been haunting these halls for 5yrs or so and nothing new has really poped up in that time apart from:
• The forum split by a few members who had grand plans to screw over hobbyists,
• SPP popping up a few times - costs alot,
• Bubblers increasing in popularity - fast run times,
• 5Star opening its doors,
• column size increasing to speed runs up.
• tried and proven recipes being developed and discussed,
• Brian finishing his bubbler.

Apart from those things its all been much the same:
• what temp to run my still at?,
• how long till my wash finishes fermenting?,
• what yeast to use for which wash?,
• perf plates or bubble caps, and how many?,
•i wish i found this forum before i spent $XXX.xx on a ??????? Still.
• how do i make turbo washes taste better?,
• how come my turbo wash has stalled?,
• how do i make my booze better?

It is all here to be found.
And we are happy to discuss things with you, it is why we are here after all, the people who dont want to discuss stuff don't post.

We just ask that you do a bit more reading to help us help you, asking the right question is half the battle.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Doubleuj » Thu May 31, 2018 2:55 pm

scythe wrote:Asking questions is a great thing to do, it can stop you wasting your money time and enthusiasm.

But before you ask a question see if you can condense the info you want to find out and then think about search terms that might help you find the answers to your question.

I've been haunting these halls for 5yrs or so and nothing new has really poped up in that time apart from:
• The forum split by a few members who had grand plans to screw over hobbyists,
• SPP popping up a few times - costs alot,
• Bubblers increasing in popularity - fast run times,
• 5Star opening its doors,
• column size increasing to speed runs up.
• tried and proven recipes being developed and discussed,
• Brian finishing his bubbler.

Apart from those things its all been much the same:
• what temp to run my still at?,
• how long till my wash finishes fermenting?,
• what yeast to use for which wash?,
• perf plates or bubble caps, and how many?,
•i wish i found this forum before i spent $XXX.xx on a ??????? Still.
• how do i make turbo washes taste better?,
• how come my turbo wash has stalled?,
• how do i make my booze better?

It is all here to be found.
And we are happy to discuss things with you, it is why we are here after all, the people who dont want to discuss stuff don't post.

We just ask that you do a bit more reading to help us help you, asking the right question is half the battle.

:clap: :clap:
Well said :handgestures-thumbupleft:
But you missed the bit about Zac never finishing Agrajag :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby scythe » Thu May 31, 2018 3:07 pm

Thats why its not on the list, yet....
One day maybe. :laughing-rolling:
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby hoddo59 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:00 pm

woodduck wrote:Nah you've taken me the wrong way mate that's why I said I don't want to sound like an asshole because I don't want to sound like one cause I'm not one. I was trying to say that knowing something doesn't mean you understand it. I could give you a list of parts to build a car, does that mean you can build a car? I want you to understand the art and science of distilling not just the how to. I wanted you to do some more reading so you could expand your knowledge so you would be a far better distiller in the long run. I won't go into it any further as I don't want to upset you any more than I already have.

A voltage controller will allow you to slow down a spirit run on a still so you don't smear the different fractions and give you a shit tasting drink.

Just a couple threads from the newbies corner

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=11077

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3541

My apologies for any offence I may have caused, was not my intention.

No problems mate. I'm probably just a little precious. Thanks for the links and trying to help. I'll do a lot more reading and this forum and it's member are certainly a very valuable resource. Looking forward to years of helpful advice as I start my journey. cheers Hoddo
hoddo59

Postby woodduck » Thu May 31, 2018 8:11 pm

Nothing wrong with questions mate just try to make them about clarifying something rather than straight out questions, if you get what I mean. I don't want you to be afraid to ask questions mate just have a bit of a crack yourself first that's all we ask :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I found that while reading threads I would learn so much more than what I set out to because so much good info is hidden in them. The search our site button will be your friend as will be the bookmark button down the bottom, if you find something you think you might need later bookmark it. Patience is the key to this hobby mate, take your time and enjoy the journey.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby hoddo59 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:01 am

Hi Guys I've done a search but not sure if the information is there or not but been trying to see if there is an option on the forum where you can reverse the date order of posts on a particular topic. Haven't spent a lot of time in chat forums so certainly a novice but it would seem to me that it would be easier to use if the most recent posts were the first to appear at the top of a particular topic. It's not problem really to go to the end post but would seem just a little more user friendly to me if the most recent posts were at the top. A lot of software simply has a button to reverse the date order and I thought that might be available but I've just not found it. cheers Peter
hoddo59

Postby woodduck » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Just below the last post on each page is an option for ascending or descending, click on descending then ok.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby hoddo59 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:40 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: Thanks woodduck just didn't know were to look. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hoddo59

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre