Hey Folks

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hey Folks

Postby BourbonKing » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:52 am

Hey Lads,
my name is BourbonKing and I am from the Sunshine Coast.
I have been meaning to post up here for months but i was waiting till I had some level of informed input ;)
I received a T500 still for a present, ran a couple of turbo washes and was less than impressed when i eventually turfed it because it tasted like metho soaked in firewood.
I built a pot still setup to go onto the T500 lid pretty soon after because I only really drink bourbon and I am wanted as close to authentic bourbon as possible. I am on the 11th gen. of Mac's BWKO (Big cheers for the recipe mate) so i am ready to do a second final spirit run. Out of the first run i put about 2.5l on medium charred american oak and 2.5l on charred french oak. The french oak one tastes unreal but i am probably going to put the rest of the american oak in the feints run because it isn't as flash for some odd reason.
Right now i am fermenting a second TPW for some neutral for the family, in addition to the BWKO. I am not sure what i will adjust for the BWKO for the start of the new generation. These washes are sitting at 18 degrees right now so i need to figure out how to heat em up without using too much power, they are currently wrapped in towels which i suspect is useless :dance:
Anyways that is me, cheers heaps for all the information on this site! I would probably still be doing metho runs or selling my setup if this website didn't exist. ~x(
:text-thankyoublue:
Last edited by Doubleuj on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed name
BourbonKing

equipment: T500 Boiler with Voltage Controller and Homemade Pot Still Head.
Cooling water goes to a 1000l tank, however i need to setup a reticulation system.

Re: Hey Folks

Postby Astro » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:01 pm

Gday mate and welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:

First up i wouldnt be advertising my full name on here for obvious reasons, maybe im just paranoid though.
2nd i assume your doing 25-30ltr washes?
a heat belt or pad should sort you out without using too much power, i have 200ltr washes down in a tin shed in vic so bloody cold overnight.
Aquarium heater does the job keeping them warm with a woolen blanket ratchet strapped around them.
Someone else will chim in on your BWKO issues, only a rum drinker here :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Last edited by Astro on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astro

equipment: 2" pot and 2" bok on 50ltr elec keg boiler

Postby Professor Green » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:14 pm

Welcome to AD mate.

You definitely don't want to be sticking your real name out there for all to see. One of mods will remove it for you I'm sure.

As for heating a wash, I run a 250 litre fermenter and use two heat belts on a controller and a couple of blankets which works well for me. I used to use heat pads on my 30 litre fermenters. Some folks use aquarium heaters. All options will work and none of them use that much power.

Cheers,
Prof. Green,.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby BourbonKing » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Haha fair enough about the name, you never know when someone will come knocking.
Ooo I didn't even think about aquarium heaters, I get mates rates down at the pet stock shop so I might have to pop in. I am just running 30L buckets at the moment. I can't afford a big boiler at the moment and I already produce more than I can drink so I am pretty happy with a lil setup
BourbonKing

equipment: T500 Boiler with Voltage Controller and Homemade Pot Still Head.
Cooling water goes to a 1000l tank, however i need to setup a reticulation system.

Postby woodduck » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Welcome to the forum mate, enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre