Hi everyone! Noob from Adelaide

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi everyone! Noob from Adelaide

Postby sicksadsam » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi guys & girls,

New to the forum here, and rather new to distilling.
Recently purchased (after much convincing of the wife) a turbo 500. Which I thought was a pretty awesome idea after what i also thought was a decent amount of research.

*que laughter from EVERYONE here.

Dont tell the wife :angry-banghead:

It'll do for now but already cant stop looking at other stills..
For my next go in the hopefully-not-so-distant-future im tossing up between the still spirits alembic to go with the t500, or going a 2" adapter and a 2" pot still condenser from 5star.
Im pretty keen on really dark spiced rum & most bourbons, so a pot will happen eventually.

After a handful of turbo runs ive finally got a TPW on, actually its pretty much all done im just leaving it to settle another day or two to maybe clear a touch.
(sg 1080, fg 990ish)
Was a little nervous about the TPW at first as i had only ever used turbos in my short time, but it has gone exceedingly well, and already about to start another with my latest purchase of a 60L fermenter ($20 gumtree find!).

I had been keen on trying a dark rum after my TPW, but pretty much scrapped it after realising it wont really work well with the reflux column.

In the short amount of time ive had my still and after only a few runs so far im already dreaming of wading through all the red tape and actually having a proper go! :music-deathmetal:

Any advice anyone has about literally anything from washes, still building, & also doing it all above board would be very welcome!
sicksadsam

equipment: 2" modular pot with reflux condenser. T500 boiler. Good intentions

Re: Hi everyone! Noob from Adelaide

Postby The Stig » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Welcome SSS
The good old T500 isn’t a bad thing to learn on, go a 2 inch pot and get going.
The biggest leap in quality I made was running the TPW twice.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Astro » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:41 pm

welcome mate,

You'd be surprised how many people find the forum after buying a T500 :laughing-rolling: a good little learning still though but turf that outlet hose for some copper tube :handgestures-thumbupleft:

2" pot would be your next step for some great rum :happy-partydance:
Astro

equipment: 2" pot and 2" bok on 50ltr elec keg boiler

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Welcome to the forum SSS, you won’t look back now.
Best advice I can give is make some drinks that your wife likes... then she’ll be hooked on you making her nice drinks...then it’s free reign to upgrade :laughing-rolling:
I started with a t500 and she’s not a bad rig with some easy modifications and running it the right way.
heres a thread that I did up a while ago that might help you.
All in all, have fun, be safe and enjoy the fruits of your labour... responsibly :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:46 pm

Welcome here mate, sounds like your on the right track :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:33 pm

Welcome sicksadsam.

As others have said, the T500 is not such a bad unit. It does the job but most folks here found they outgrew it's capabilities fairly quickly.

Best move you've made is to ditch the turbos. You'll find the TPW won't yield as much as the turbos do but what you get is much better quality.

Definitely have a read the thread WJ linked for you above as it will help you get the best from your T500. It's also worth reading Kiwistiller's Novice Guide to Cuts and Fractions.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:40 pm

G'day mate and welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby sicksadsam » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:05 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Doubleuj wrote:Welcome to the forum SSS, you won’t look back now.
Best advice I can give is make some drinks that your wife likes... then she’ll be hooked on you making her nice drinks...then it’s free reign to upgrade :laughing-rolling:
I started with a t500 and she’s not a bad rig with some easy modifications and running it the right way.
heres a thread that I did up a while ago that might help you.
All in all, have fun, be safe and enjoy the fruits of your labour... responsibly :laughing-rolling:

Yeah ive read that about three times now :-B
Thanks for the time and effort you put into writing that up, i appreciate it and im sure many others do to!

Professor Green wrote:Welcome sicksadsam.

As others have said, the T500 is not such a bad unit. It does the job but most folks here found they outgrew it's capabilities fairly quickly.

Best move you've made is to ditch the turbos. You'll find the TPW won't yield as much as the turbos do but what you get is much better quality.

Definitely have a read the thread WJ linked for you above as it will help you get the best from your T500. It's also worth reading Kiwistiller's Novice Guide to Cuts and Fractions.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Thanks mate, I haven't had a read of that one yet, putting it on my to-do list! It even has pictures! :auto-sportbike:
sicksadsam

equipment: 2" modular pot with reflux condenser. T500 boiler. Good intentions

Postby Plumby » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:51 pm

:greetings-waveyellow:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Return to Welcome Centre