Shipping stills to Oz

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Shipping stills to Oz

Postby timmy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Hey all,

Got a question..... has anyone had dramas getting stills send from O/S?

Just I ordered a still from Mr Manning in the UK (yeah I know), and he apparently had it returned to him undeliverable,

Any ideas?

My mum is in the UK at the moment and I was going to ask her to bring it over but shes unsure about going through customs with it. Probably unfounded, but I can't definitively tell her it will be OK.

Thanks all,

Tim
timmy

equipment: None yet....

Re: Shipping stills to Oz

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:11 pm

I haven't done it but I know other people have.

I would have thought the only reason it would be returned as undeliverable would be if the address was wrong. If there was a customs issue with it I think you'd have received a letter about it.

How small is it that your mum can bring it with her?
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Wazzza » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi Timmy, unfortunately without the proper permission from the ato and others importing stills is not possible, customs would recognise what it is, despite what it may have been labeled as and return it. And to be granted the permission you must show justifyable reason. Trust me, we’re going through the process of securing permission atm.
Any particular reason you chose to buy from overseas? From a marketing point I’m very interested to know your motivation so that we can address that and perhaps persuade you and anyone else to go for FSD gear :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wazzza

Postby Georgio » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:44 pm

Timmy, I have purchased a condenser from OS before. It arrived no worries. The caveat however....it was shipped as pieces of copper and I had to assemble it. Looking back I should have gone local mate. Quality assurance is important as well as knowing if it gets shipped you will receive it. As it would turn out the condenser was just too small for my boiler and am having issues with hot distillate (even after adding power control). I feel I have wasted the money I spent on the purchase and the astronomical cost of shipping from the US. Money would have been better spent at 5 star! I have something flash from 5star on my farther's day wish list!
Georgio

equipment: 50l keg boiler.
4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler
95L mash tun with 300 micron grain basket
250kg Winch for grain basket

Postby warramungas » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:41 pm

I have had a whole still head sent before with no issues. Customs even opened it and demanded duty at the post office but there was no boiler. This was over 15 years ago though for a pda-1 without the boiler.
If you're trying to post a still head with the boiler at the same time you might be SOL. Keg boilers are easy but if you've already bought a head for a still you could get your mum to bring it with her on the plane like you've already suggested. Probably the best plan.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Minpac » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:34 am

I think if it's split into a number of smaller shipments and declared as piping parts and keep the boiler separate, you might be ok.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Return to Welcome Centre