Howdy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy

Postby stevodevo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:52 am

Hi All,

Thanks for welcoming me into the forum. I've been brewing beer for a while and have been giving serious consideration to giving distilling a go. I'm not a big drinker, so small scale for the fun of it is the plan. That's the same approach I currently take with beer. Small batches so I can actually brew more regularly. That said, I have a 20L Braumeister, so the first thing on the agenda is searching this forum for any info about using a Braumeister for distilling, like can be done with a Grainfather.

I don't expect I'll have much to contribute much here in the near future, but it looks like there's a lot of good reading to help inspire me whichever way I end up going.

Thanks,
Steve
stevodevo

equipment: Nothing at the moment, but looking to correct that problem soon!

Re: Howdy

Postby Sam. » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:36 am

Welcome here mate, good luck on your journey :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:57 am

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

Take your time and you'll find exactly what takes your fancy.

Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby dans.brew » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:12 am

Howdy Stevodevo!
Like wooduck said, the info you need is all here so have fun working out how you want to go about things! What is the main thing you want to have a crack at? :greetings-waveyellow:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Professor Green » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:53 am

Welcome to AD Steve.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby stevodevo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:13 pm

Thanks for the welcomes :handgestures-thumbupleft:

dans.brew wrote:Howdy Stevodevo!
What is the main thing you want to have a crack at? :greetings-waveyellow:

I might be aiming high, but I'm mainly interested in trying my hand at small barrel (or wood chips etc) dark rum. Maybe whiskey as well, but I'm mainly a rum drinker. I like the idea of doing a few batches with added flavoring from time to time, but as I don't drink much, I have plenty of time (and patience) to try my hand at something a bit more "hand made". For beers, I mainly stick with dark Belgian style ales which also let me get a bit creative, and I enjoy sampling the affect that time has on the finished product.
stevodevo

equipment: Nothing at the moment, but looking to correct that problem soon!

Postby dans.brew » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:33 pm

stevodevo wrote:
I might be aiming high, but I'm mainly interested in trying my hand at small barrel (or wood chips etc) dark rum. Maybe whiskey as well, but I'm mainly a rum drinker. I like the idea of doing a few batches with added flavoring from time to time, but as I don't drink much, I have plenty of time (and patience) to try my hand at something a bit more "hand made".

I started with rum when i got my pot still going. I used Macrum in the tried and proven section. Turned out awesome... still drinking some of it. It will be 2 year old in a few months. Aging is key to making well made spirits, great spirits ive found. There is a lot to be experimented with using different oaks ie french/ american ,toasted, chared or straight oak. Keep reading and you'll soon work out which way your gonna head. Good luck! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Lowie » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:28 pm

G'day Stevo. Welcome mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Return to Welcome Centre