A Wimmera Whiskey is my goal

Say Hi and introduce yourself

A Wimmera Whiskey is my goal

Postby BrendanS » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:02 pm

G'day all. I am new to this site and to distilling. In fact I'm fairly new to whiskey drinking but love the stuff now. I am working my way through the Scotch whiskeys at the moment and have even had a Japanese one. Love em. I am a full time woodturner and live near Horsham in Western Vic. I know plenty of farmers who grow Barley so I started to think that it would be a great project to make a Wimmera Whiskey including water from the Grampians National Park ( I will get it once it has left the NP). I have started my research on the topic of making whiskey and feel confident I can do it. But I need the equipment and am finding it hard to find a supplier of good quality stills etc. So here I am on this forum seeking some advice on who can help me source good equipment. Thank you, in anticipation of some good advice.
BrendanS

equipment: I have nothing at the time of registering

Re: A Wimmera Whiskey is my goal

Postby Nathan02 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Do some research mate and you'll find all the advice you'll ever need to quality whiskey here. To fast track you, you want to build yourself a copper pot still or a 4 plate bubbler.

Enjoy
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby woodduck » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:24 pm

G'day mate and welcome along.

My advice is go with 5star stills, they are the best you'll get. They are currently going though a change of ownership but I'm sure they'll be back up and running in no time. It will give you time to research a bit more and get everything prepped ready to go.

Good luck mate and I'm sure you'll make some darn fine whiskey very soon :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby The Stig » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Howdy new person :handgestures-thumbupleft:
My advice would be not to imitate (or try)
Make something better that you enjoy.
The above is what I do :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby dans.brew » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Welcome Brendan! :greetings-waveyellow:
Good to see a fellow brewer from the wimmera. I live about an hour away.
You've definately come to the right place to get your questions answered. The only prob is, for a start the answers may create more questions. :laughing-rolling:
Don't stress though, we've all been there too. Keep things simple for a start, before you know it things will start making sense and you will on to bigger better things.
What is your budget at this stage?
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:40 pm

Welcome Brendan.

:text-+1: on what everyone else has already said.

Best advice I can give you is to take your time and have a read or two of the newbies section. Then work out what you actually need to make the spirits you want to make.

Don't forget when making your shopping list to include the sundry items like fermenters and storage vessels etc.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Georgio » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:02 am

Welcome mate.
I am new to making Whisky myself. Keep reading and keep learning. The kind folks above have helped me whenever I have needed it and never made me feel like a chump for asking. Having purchased a pot still fom overseas I would recommend going local. Good luck, I am sure your first own made dram will go down a treat. :greetings-waveyellow:
Georgio

equipment: 50l keg boiler.
4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler
95L mash tun with 300 micron grain basket
250kg Winch for grain basket

Thank you

Postby BrendanS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 am

Thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement. My question about who can make me a still seems to have been answered and I need to wait for 5 Star to re-open. Having a background in woodworking I operate on the principal of buy quality from the start which is why I was cautious about what I see on ebay etc. Anyhow, I look forward to the adventure. BS
BrendanS

equipment: I have nothing at the time of registering

Postby Professor Green » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:39 am

It will be worth the wait Brendan. 5 Star only sell high quality gear and they have supplied a number of commercial distilleries who are producing award winning spirits using said gear. They'll see you right for sure.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Welcome Centre