Just joined

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Just joined

Postby Scott » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi,

Just joined. I have been all grain brewing for a few years with a Grainfather and want to get into distilling. My drinks of choice, other than my homebrew is scotch and gin however I'm sure when I start producing I'll get requests for vodka from my kids.
I prefer quality over quantity.
I enjoy the science behind brewing and distilling (I'm an engineer I can't help it). I've read "The Joy of home distilling" to get an understanding of the basics and would be keen to get recommendations for further reading.
I'd prefer to start with the raw ingredients to produce the drink I want rather than add an essence.
I don't have a shortage of space.
I don't have the metalwork skills to make a still so I need to buy one and I'd prefer electric over gas.
Budget: I've had a look at some of the cheaper stills and read a few posts. I would prefer to jump in at the deep end and get the right gear from day 1 rather than cheap and upgrade when I discover I can't produce the quality I want so l haven't fixed a budget. If I can't afford to do it to a high standard then I'll wait until I can.

I'm keen to get recommendations on equipment and budget.

Regards
Scott
Scott

equipment: Grainfather, no distilling equipment yet

Re: Just joined

Postby The Stig » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi Scott,
Welcome sounds like your well on your way .
We have a huge library that you’ve probably already found.
Enjoy mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Welcome Scott,I recommend a modular still so as you develop so can you add to it ,production speed is a big point too and would look at 4inch set up with a boiler volume of 50-100lt,this combination has kept many happy,so read shit loads and be honest about your expectations.Also check the for sale section often as some bargains pop up from time ta time.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Professor Green » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Welcome to AD Scott.

I second going modular not just because you can reconfigure the still for different spirits but, if you find starting out with a full 4" reflux column, packed section and boiler takes you out of your budgetary comfort zone, you can actually start off with a basic pot still then add the necessary parts bit by bit as you can afford them to build up to the full kit; just like Meccano! This would get you making really good whiskey pretty much straight away and then making gin and vodka a little further down the track.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum

Now you say you are an engineer but no good with the tools :scared-eek: Surely you know about the heating properties of metals, the strength of soldered joints and the need to get everything perfect.

Saying that why not get your hands dirty and use your knowledge to design and build what is fit for purpose for your new hobby.

I will warn you working in copper is addictive :O) :O) :O) and once you start you love making stuff.

Just look at some of the member builds to get an idea of how to start and if an engineer says it's too hard well....... I will leave it there.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Scott » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks for the welcome and to Bryan for throwing down the challenge to build a still. I would love to build one however I also love being married and starting a new one new hobby(Distilling) is enough. Starting a second new hobby (Making stills) would be pushing the limit. Maybe in retirement.

How do I tell the difference between a good modular system and a bad one? What are the things I should look for? Over the internet they all look like they could have come out of the same Chinese factory.

Regards
Scott
Scott

equipment: Grainfather, no distilling equipment yet

Postby The Stig » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Scott wrote:
How do I tell the difference between a good modular system and a bad one?

Look no further than 5 star gear.
Buy 5 star now and your great grandkids will be using it to make their hooch :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:54 pm

The Stig wrote:
Scott wrote:
How do I tell the difference between a good modular system and a bad one?

Look no further than 5 star gear.
Buy 5 star now and your great grandkids will be using it to make their hooch :laughing-rolling:

:text-+1: Many will look the same but they are certainly from different suppliers that have different ideas of what qualitites "stainless" steel should have.

5 Star are a time tested and proven product. You can buy cheaper elsewhere but you could also be buying something that is not to the correct dimensions advertised and "stainless" that will corrode quickly :handgestures-thumbdown:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Hey mate, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre