feeling inadequate from canberra Haha

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: feeling inadequate from canberra Haha

Postby Bloke » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:02 am

My current thought is pretty much Mattyb's pic.
400-500mm column, 2 90's into a 400mm 2" shotty, all clamped.
Some sort of bung in the boiler and a 2400W element and controller

Rush006 If you inverted would you just weld another connection to the top? Is there a reason you wouldn't use some sort of bung? or are you talking about some of the horizontal boiler designs?
Bloke

equipment: Still Spirits Airstill, 10L Fermenter and 2x30L Fermenters
FSD 4" 4 Plate column still - 60L Boiler and 500mm Packed Section

Postby Professor Green » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Bloke wrote:My current thought is pretty much Mattyb's pic.
400-500mm column, 2 90's into a 400mm 2" shotty, all clamped.
Some sort of bung in the boiler and a 2400W element and controller

Rush006 If you inverted would you just weld another connection to the top? Is there a reason you wouldn't use some sort of bung? or are you talking about some of the horizontal boiler designs?

I think most folks using inverted kegs use the existoing spear hole as the drain as you can simply clamp a 2" 90 deg tri-clamp bend to it along with a short length of 2" TC pipe and a TC ball valve to keep the liquid in when it's running. Then they weld a 4" ferrule on the other end of the keg as the still mount. This gives access for an arm into the boiler for cleaning and a good strong mount for a 4" still should you roll that way or a 2" still by use of 4" x 2" reducer.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Bloke » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Ahh Thank you Professor Green, I didn't think about the ease of cleaning, I think I'll add that to my design, I was already thinking a 4" looking glass but hadn't looked into why or how people do it yet.
Bloke

Postby Professor Green » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Bloke wrote:Ahh Thank you Professor Green, I didn't think about the ease of cleaning, I think I'll add that to my design, I was already thinking a 4" looking glass but hadn't looked into why or how people do it yet.

People go for 4" stills for speed mostly. A 4" still is a lot faster than a 2" one for the same result.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby Bloke » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:34 pm

could it be too fast for a 30l wash though? I'm not really looking at any larger than that (not for quite a while anyway).
still figuring this stuff out
Last edited by Bloke on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Postby bluess57 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Bloke wrote:could it be too fast for a 30l wash though?

No
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby Bloke » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:39 pm

cheers :-)
Bloke

Postby Plumby » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Who washes their boiler? I have been making rum for nearly 18 months now and I only rinse the boiler out after I'm done. I don't scrub anything just fill the boiler about 1/3 full, shake and dump then leave to dry.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Professor Green » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Plumby wrote:Who washes their boiler? I have been making rum for nearly 18 months now and I only rinse the boiler out after I'm done. I don't scrub anything just fill the boiler about 1/3 full, shake and dump then leave to dry.

I do! And I bung the stainless still components in the dishwasher.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby Plumby » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Professor Green wrote:
Plumby wrote:Who washes their boiler? I have been making rum for nearly 18 months now and I only rinse the boiler out after I'm done. I don't scrub anything just fill the boiler about 1/3 full, shake and dump then leave to dry.

My boiler is a stainless keg, still is all copper. I do a vinegar run to clean the inside of the still if it starts getting manky, probably 2 times a year. Apart from that I let the foreshots and heads do the cleaning for me.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby db1979 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:42 pm

Plumby wrote:
Professor Green wrote:

My boiler is a stainless keg, still is all copper. I do a vinegar run to clean the inside of the still if it starts getting manky, probably 2 times a year. Apart from that I let the foreshots and heads do the cleaning for me.

:text-+1:
Use the KISS principle.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Bloke » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:22 am

Update:
I started collecting materials, After a copuple of months of hectic life, I still hadn't started the build.
Got a bit lucky with some awesome jobs all coming in before chrissy so decided to hit up Andrew @ FSD and bought a 4 plate column, boiler and packed section, His service was incredible.
Picked it all up as I happened to be going up to Brissy already, and now its a pretty ornament until i setup the voltage controllers and cooling system.
Bloke

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:14 am

Good stuff bloke! You don’t necessarily need a voltage controller but definitely need cooling water!
Have you got a wash down so it’ll be ready when you are?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:31 am

+1 depending on setup voltage controllers are more for pot still unless you have bigger 15a outlets. 2x 2400w for heat up then turn one off for the run. 2400w will run a bubbler well..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Bloke » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:50 am

@Doubleuj -- haven't put a wash down yet, will be making time this week. Going to do a TPW and WBAB to compare. I prefer the TPW through my air still but have been recommended the WBAB as better through the plate column, for nuetral/vodka anyway. If i get another Fermenter I'll put down a Mollasses wash (this is the main goal) but I'd like to play around a bit with neutrals first.

@bluc -- I've got 2 x 2400W, just standard 10amp, already had the voltage controllers so plan is just to use them to power on and off and potentially better manage temperature in the boiler :-)
Bloke

Postby bluc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 pm

Sounds like your sorted. I have a 3600w split into two leads one of which goes to a power controller :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Professor Green » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Welcome to club FSD!

You'll be pumping out some top notch spirits in no time.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby dans.brew » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:45 pm

Exciting times ahead Bloke! :happy-partydance:
Pretty sure you will make a nice drop using 5star gear... i borrowed a mates 5star PC a while back and they sure are quality bit of gear.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:02 am

Bloke wrote:@Doubleuj -- haven't put a wash down yet, will be making time this week. Going to do a TPW and WBAB to compare. I prefer the TPW through my air still but have been recommended the WBAB as better through the plate column, for nuetral/vodka anyway. If i get another Fermenter I'll put down a Mollasses wash (this is the main goal) but I'd like to play around a bit with neutrals first.

@bluc -- I've got 2 x 2400W, just standard 10amp, already had the voltage controllers so plan is just to use them to power on and off and potentially better manage temperature in the boiler :-)

Trying to run this type of still and most others by managing boiler temperature by power imput is probably not going ta work very well,there is a thread on running it the easy way ,wich is well worth a look.The boiler temp is governed by what % alcohol and water is in the load,so as you collect output the temp goes up as the boiler load % decreases until it gets to 100'c then only water wich boils at 100'c is left in the boiler,so in full reflux you could leave it running all day and collect nothing and the boiler temp would stay the same regardless of how much power ya dial in,only as you collect product will the temp increase.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
Last edited by hillzabilly on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Bloke » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:25 am

hillzabilly wrote:
Bloke wrote:@Doubleuj -- haven't put a wash down yet, will be making time this week. Going to do a TPW and WBAB to compare. I prefer the TPW through my air still but have been recommended the WBAB as better through the plate column, for nuetral/vodka anyway. If i get another Fermenter I'll put down a Mollasses wash (this is the main goal) but I'd like to play around a bit with neutrals first.

Trying to run this type of still and most others by managing boiler temperature by power imput is probably not going ta work very well,there is a thread on running it the easy way ,wich is well worth a look.The boiler temp is governed by what % alcohol and water is in the load,so as you collect output the temp goes up as the boiler load % decreases until it gets to 100'c then only water wich boils at 100'c is left in the boiler,so in full reflux you could leave it running all day and collect nothing and the boiler temp would stay the same regardless of how much power ya dial in,only as you collect product will the temp increase.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

It's certainly going to be a big learning curve, So much to learn still :-)
Bloke

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre