Howdy Folks

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy Folks

Postby macgreer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:13 pm

I bought a stack of wine at auction and found that all the stuff underneath is crap. Have ran it all through a 5L still but a bit tedious and results average. I want to make gin, so am looking for 2nd hand T500 unless I spot something better before a bargain pops up on gumtree.
Great info on here - shame the good units in the classifieds are all in Tassie or East coast.
macgreer

equipment: 5L reflux to save some wine I bought at auction that turned out to be way over the hill. Now thinking of 25l unit.

Re: Howdy Folks

Postby woodduck » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:41 am

G'day mate, welcome.

Keep your eye out something might pop up. I imagine there'd be plenty t500 and bokas sitting in sheds collecting dust.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Welcome macgreer.

If you're wanting to make a distilled gin, you'll need a pot still as well as a reflux column - the T500 columns can't be run "detuned" as pot still without sustaining damage due to the use of plastic components tat warp when overheated.

If you want a single still to be able to make your neutral AND a distilled gin, then something like a boka would be your best bet. I'm assuming you're wanting to stay small at this stage rather than jumping in with both feet?

Keep an eye out in the for sale section here, stuff pops up there quite regularly.

Also, if you are set on a T500, have a think about making a pot still to complement it - they're dead simple to make and there's plenty of threads in the post still section of the forum to whet your appetite.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby mawlar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:29 pm

hey I'm new here; well long time listener first time poster kind if thing
where abouts are you located? I created a new account because one; I didnt remeber any of my log in details :handgestures-thumbupleft: and two I need to sell my T500 with a copper condenser but I cannot make a 'fo' sale' thread yet because i am still on baby status
mawlar

equipment: turbo 500

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:04 pm

mawlar wrote:hey I'm new here; well long time listener first time poster kind if thing
where abouts are you located? I created a new account because one; I didnt remeber any of my log in details :handgestures-thumbupleft: and two I need to sell my T500 with a copper condenser but I cannot make a 'fo' sale' thread yet because i am still on baby status

Hi Mawler, how about posting your own thread in the welcome centre.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Return to Welcome Centre