Newby from Western Sydney

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Newby from Western Sydney

Postby feralbass » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi Folks

New to the forum and keen to learn.

I have no spirit distilling experience, however, I consider myself a proficient beer brewer.

I currently use a Grainfather connect and a Grainfather conical Pro fermenter.
Controlled heating and cooling.

I have been looking at the still attachment for the Grainfather and think, I can do a similar job at 1/4 of the cost in SS, (famous last words I guess).

My target is to produce drinkable rum and bourbon.

Looking at all the start up treads is and trying to sort out the good from the bad is overwhelming.
Can some lead me in the right directing in regard to a design that has been done home and successful to suit the grainfather.

Please put up with my future dumb question, hopefully 1 day I will be able to contribute back and I look forward to being part of the community.

Cheers, John :greetings-waveyellow:
feralbass

equipment: Nothing yet, getting a plan in place to set up

Re: Newby from Western Sydney

Postby Matt_Pl » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Welcome John,

there's plenty of knowledge here mate, not such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people!

Welcome to the forums
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby Professor Green » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Welcome John.

You can certainly knock up a really good pot still for much less than the HBS stills even if you use copper - have a look at some of the posts in the pot still section of the forum for inspiration. The pelican design is a particularly good one for those smaller boilers as it evens the weight out a bit and reduces the chance of the whole lot toppling one the liquid in the boiler starts to get low.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby woodduck » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:54 am

G'day mate and welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

Not sure about how to adapt to the grainfather, it has been talked about though. Try the search button next to the recipes up the top of the page. Infind that one better than the one in the top right.

:text-+1: on the pelican if you going onto a smaller boiler (I don't know how big a grainfarther is).

Reading, reading, reading is the best way. Take your time and don't rush the process. You ask anyone here that has rushed their decision, they've regretted it, including me :laughing-rolling:

Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre