Hi from Perth

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Perth

Postby Werra » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi all

I have been a member for a few years, lurking every now and again whenever my interest turns back around to distilling, but I have finally decided I need to actually do something about it.

Hence this message, and a request for help...
I am a heavy Scotch Whisky drinker, and think I would really enjoy the process of making my own. I would only make small amounts for my own consumption, and it really only needs to be cost neutral - not looking to save lots of money here, but it would be a bonus. I may end up doing some neutral spirits, but at this stage it would only be to learn how/out of interest, not because I am planning on drinking it.

I decided I wanted a bubbler. I have reached out to FSD (thanks Andrew) and he has suggested the 4" Neutraliser, or the modular pot still as a cheaper option. I have the funds for the Neut at the moment (the significant other is now an ex other; saves money and need for permission) but it is more than I wanted to spend...

Can anyone help convince me either way :)

Thanks

Werra
Werra

equipment: Nothing yet.

Re: Hi from Perth

Postby bluc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Neutralizer you can make any brown spirit whiskey/scotch whisky/bourbon rum, brandy, or you can make neutral and then turn that into liqueurs or gin.
With a pot you can make brown spirits maceration's, but not a decent vodka/neutral for gin etc.

With a pot you will need to do two runs a strip then a spirit run, which gets time consuming. With the neutralizer most find one pass enough, although some do two with neutral/vodka washs.

I have found since updating to a plated still my spirit is much much more refined.
Not so much a post for one or the other but gives you an idea of things to think about :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi there, welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

If you don't want to spend quite so much just buy a bubbler with 4 plates no packed section. That will do all the brown spirits you want and if you decide to do some neutrals later you can buy or build the extra bits as you need them. Or buy the modular pot and once your sick of the double runs buy the plates and rc and you have a bubbler. If you buy a bubbler you will never need another still.

Good luck
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:28 pm

Welcome Werra.

:text-+1: on the guys have already said. You cannot go wrong starting off with FSD gear, it's the mutt's nuts. If you are not that keen to splash so much cash on the Neutraliser straight away, opting for the 4" pot still to start with and then adding the other bits later on is a great way to do it. That's how I put my neutraliser together.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Werra » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks guys

I have worked out that I am trying to justify to myself going the Neut path up front. I think the only risk is if I don't end up using it enough/lose interest - as someone pointed out, it should't be too hard to sell on if that is the case...

Who am I kidding... I'm not likely to stop drinking any time soon.
Werra

equipment: Nothing yet.

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:04 pm

Welcome Werra,The four plater ta start is the go for brown spirits,being modular is the key,with my rum I have found now two plates works ta give the flavour I like,options like stripping are also easy by just using the shotty and reducers.The cost of boiler is also a consideration 50-100lt are most common,with mashing all grain scotch whiskey you may find the equipment cost equal to or greater than the still so snoop around befor you invest in that side.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby dans.brew » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Werra wrote:Thanks guys

I have worked out that I am trying to justify to myself going the Neut path up front. I think the only risk is if I don't end up using it enough/lose interest - as someone pointed out, it should't be too hard to sell on if that is the case...

Who am I kidding... I'm not likely to stop drinking any time soon.

Just wait till you get the hang off it and make a nice drop... drinking the stuff is easier than ever, not to mention all the mates that will be hanging around. :laughing-rolling:

If you buy quality 5 star gear, selling it will definately not be a problem.. a mate of mine just bought a secondhand 5 start modular pot, and the quality is top notch.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Return to Welcome Centre