G'Day from WA

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'Day from WA

Postby Big J » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:23 am

Hi All,

Finally signed up. Been reading quite a bit and getting bogged down in terminology and different names for the same things. I see a recent post by Woodduck was very helpful in suggesting not to get overwhelmed. I have a Pure Distilling Reflux and have done about half a dozen runs. My problem early on was the outside temp (I know that's funny being in Perth) but the cold in the shed was a problem. Easily fixed with a warming belt so glad that's sorted.

I love my whiskeys, and have lovingly consumed some absolute awesome stuff. Laphroig, 21 yr Old Pultney, 15yr Glenfiddich, Sullivan Cove, Nant, Limeburners, and anything else as cost never stopped me except when a bottle of Sullivan Cove French Oak bottle went for $10,000!

My processing has been simple and straight forward using the turbo yeast with carbon and dextrose. I have fallen absolutely in love with the following two:
1. A month on toasted French Oak chips
2. 14 days on Bourbon Chips.

I don't mix anything else with it. I read that you guys do all sorts of stuff from nutrigrain and weet-bix to epsom salts in your mash. Am I seriously missing anything? I want to keep it basic so what easy mash can I try that could leave my current stuff for dead?

Big J
Big J

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux

Re: G'Day from WA

Postby Professor Green » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:30 am

Welcome to AD Big J.

Any of the recipes in the tried and proven section will make blow your turbo based product out of the water. Any of the recipes that use cereal (WBAB, NGW, CFW) will make a good whiskey base and they're all dead simple to make. Turbos are just plain nasty.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby RC Al » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Welcome mate,

:text-+1: on what PG said

Give a grain or cereal based wash a go, DO CUTS, use the same chips to age with, in a few weeks you will realize how paragraphs 2 & 3 don't go together around here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby dans.brew » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Welcome Big J! :greetings-waveyellow:
The sooner you get away from turbo the better :puke-huge:
You can run any of the cereal washes through your PDR still, but being that its a reflux still you will only get a faint flavour carryover. These stills are really only designed for making vodka and flavouring with essences as they tear the flavours from the wash.
The TPW is a rock solid wash for making vodka and what i always use.
A simple pot still is what you need for full flavour spirits and they aren't that complex or expensive to make.
Definately look at doing cuts as this is also very important. Theres a guide to this in the newbies corner.

Just keep reading mate... you'll get there.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby woodduck » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:48 pm

Welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow:

I agree with all of the above. If you recon turbo on oak chips in 14 days is good your gonna shit your pants when you try a grain based wash oaked in a barrel for 18 months :laughing-rolling: .

Give the newbies corner a good ol read and re read. If you follow those guidelines you'll be well on your way to making a good drop.

Unfortunately your still will limit what you can make in regards to whiskey and rum but it will get you started. You should keep your eye out for a little pot still so you can try those recipes out in the future.

Good luck with it all mate, keep us up to date on your progress :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Big J » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. Looking forward to some adventures.

I bought the reflux still on the advice from a veteran pot still owner. His whisky is great, like mine. I'm of the understanding that the yield from the grain based washes are not comparable. I also wish I could leave it in a barrel for 18 months but that's not going to happen given how tasty I already find it. I obviously need to learn more of the terminology as I cant exactly find at this stage what a 'cut' means. I presume it's a run?

I hope to connect soon with someone from Perth that can mentor me and show me the difference in taste.
Big J

Postby woodduck » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Newbies corner mate, best place to start :handgestures-thumbupleft:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859

If you want to find meanings for abbreviations there is a glossary of terms that can also be found in the newbies corner (can you see a pattern forming here? :laughing-rolling: ) there is also a link to that thread and a few others worth a read in my signature below :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yes turbos will give you higher yelds at a quicker rate but will also taste like crap and without cuts shorten your lifespan.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Oldhoon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:04 pm

Hey Bro! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Im in perth, northern suburb and have the T500, same as you only about 7 washes so far.
The TPW is the way to go and I follow the instructions on here.

Just moving up market to a bubbler and looking forward to some better flavours.

Cheers and enjoy the forum and great advice.

OH
Oldhoon

equipment: Ex:Copper T500
50L Milk Can Ace of Hearts Bubbler

Postby bluc » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:22 pm

Welcome big fella whip up up 2" pot and look at all grain whiskey. With good cuts all grain whiskey will blow your mind in a short period of ageing time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Big J » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:26 am

Thanks everyone. Might have to catch up with Oldhoon one day for a taste. I think I'd prefer to taste it before I change.
Big J

Postby Big J » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:27 pm

TPW: So as a newbie, I couldn’t believe the flavours from the normal TW (TurboWash) and didn’t think the TPW (Tomato Paste Wash) was going to be a massive improvement. I finally had the time to process the TPW, make comparative batches of flavourings, and put it to the test with the boys , and one chick.

TBF (To Be Frank) IMO (In My Opinion) I did find it to be smoother. As smooth as what you would find in a can of UDL (United Distillers Limited), BB (Bacardi Breezer) or a curry minus the heat.

Now IYHN (If You Hadnt Noticed) I’m having a BOF (Bit of Fun) with acronyms as a bit of a tease or PTP (Pulling the P…)

Moving onto the taste testing with the guys and gal, I have to STS (Set the Scene). Not in terms of the environment in tasting the TPW, but the kind of guys and gal doing the tasting. These kind of people love their whiskeys and are the type that could make a deadly spear with a roll of toilet paper. The type that are a man’s man – even the chick can hold her own in a man’s world. They are not the type to be seen sipping from a cider or drinking milk from a glass – if milk is consumed, it’s normally straight from the cow before it’s BBQ’d – as in walked past the BBQ, lop the hoofs off, and that’s how rare they like it.

The results? ITE (In the End) not one preferred the TPW. So the MOTS (Moral of the Story) is that each to his own. Some of us like to have a bit of burn with our whiskey. Too smooth MIGHT be for those getting used to real whiskeys.

That'll put the Cat in the Works and the Spanner Amongst the Pidgeons....
Big J

Postby bayshine » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Did ya do cuts ?
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:53 pm

I think big j was saying that bit too smooth for their likeing . Interesting post mr J :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Professor Green » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Must be the first time anyone's said a TPW was too clean for them!

There are plenty other washes to try. WBAB makes a great neutral.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Up to you BigJ if you like it that way then that’s the drink for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
But you never explained the acronym BBQ...
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Return to Welcome Centre