Newbie Intro

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Newbie Intro

Postby Cane Juice » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi folks.
My names I'm from Cairns in Queensland. No experience in distilling but i used to make my own beer.
I have been lurking in the background reading as many post off this site, as my small mind can handle, for ages now. I've reached a point where I'm ready to give distilling a go. My main considerations are a small flat to work out of (multi story). So probably working in the kitchen or bathroom. So space is tight and so is the budget.
My fav drink is Gin and would love to make my own. Also one day try my hand at making rum. Which i used to hate until i tried the Mt Uncle rum which is easily the nicest liquor i have ever tried.
Building a simple still is a definite probability.
Looking forward to learning more and getting my first still.
P.S
I actually found a reflux still and set up for sale in town on gumtree. Would it be inappropriate to link the add here for some opinions ?
Cane Juice

equipment: zero atm

Re: Newbie Intro

Postby woodduck » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 pm

G'day and welcome :greetings-waveyellow:

The small space will be constricting but you should be fine.

Yep throw up the link :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:10 am

Should just add to that, please only link to secondhand stills. We don't want links to businesses selling stills here.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:06 am

Welcome to AD mate.

For a distilled gin, you'll need a reflux still to make the neutral base and a pot still for the gin at the very least.

Check out Odin's easy gin recipe for a good starting point (you'll need to google that as it's not in our recipe section).

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:30 am

Welcome mate, plenty have made set ups in limited space before. I’m sure you will find some inspiration looking through some older threads. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Cane Juice » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Here's the secondhand still i found on gumtree. The 50 lt keg seems pretty huge but tell me what you think. I like that it has everything ready to go.
Do you reckon someone could link a few of the smaller builds threads. All the ones I have found so far are pretty big looking.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/edge-hi ... 1194625380
Last edited by woodduck on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed double post
Cane Juice

equipment: zero atm

Postby scythe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:19 pm

There are better disigns to be made...
Ditch all the plastic and brass parts that the spirit touches and it should be ok.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Return to Welcome Centre