good day to you all

Say Hi and introduce yourself

good day to you all

Postby Speculate86 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:25 am

howdy all,

im brand new to all this technical stuff. as a newby i bought a T500 and i thought that it was the ducks nuts until reading all the info on here over the last few days. it seem that i have alot to learn about the craft. over the next few weeks i want to try my first TPW.

cheers for all the tips and info. look forward to improving my brew and eventually my kit
Speculate86

equipment: T500 learner

Re: good day to you all

Postby Sam. » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:55 am

Welcome here mate, enjoy the learning curve :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:55 pm

Howdy :greetings-waveyellow:

Have a good read of the newbies corner and bookmark anything you think you might want to refer back to later because you'll get lost in the pages otherwise :laughing-rolling:

Enjoy
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Speculate86 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:40 pm

i have been reading all day and still dont really understand what to actually do in the case of stripping and spirit runs. i have read what i can but cant seem to take it in :angry-banghead:

so i make the TPW. thats all good. then put it in the T500 and run it as hot as i can and collect everything that comes out besides the first 150ml.

this is where i get lost. do i discard all the wash that is in the turbo 500? then add my strip but water it down to 40% back into the T500 and boil that for a spirit run (doing 1-200ml cuts) ? discarding the first 150ml again?

any hel would be great. cheers peeps
Speculate86

Postby Professor Green » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:01 pm

Welcome to AD mate.

A stripping run usually done with a pot still run flat out until the product comes off the still at 20 or 10% that being the point of diminished returns. The product from that run is then diluted to under 40% for safety reasons and run through the still agin only this time nice and slow to produce the final spirits. With the T500, you can’t really do a hard and fast stripping run as it is not designed to operate that way and doing so could damage it and render it unsafe to use. What you can do is double distill. By this I mean, run your wash through once nice and slow like you would do for a spirit run then dilute the product of that run down to 40% and run it through again. This should give you a very good quality neutral.

Have you read the thread no the correct way to run a T500 in the newbies section? The cuts thread in the same section is well worth reading too. Combine the knowledge from both of those and you’ll be on the path to top notch results very quickly.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Speculate86 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks prof green. Much appreciated mate. That’s the basic info that I needed so I know what to do now. I know that the T500 isn’t the best but it’s what the budget can afford and it doesn’t turn out to bad. It’s still drinkable haha. Can’t wait to give it a good go next batch. :music-deathmetal:
Speculate86

Return to Welcome Centre