Stepping it up

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Stepping it up

Postby Westshine » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:16 pm

HI Guys, I've been distilling for a few years. Started on sugar washes with HBS gear, mixing with cordials. I then moved onto gin, AG corn whiskey, barley and recently rum, no more cordials. I've been running a 2" 25ltr pot still and it's been killing me with 8hr+ spirit runs, so, I recently purchased a 4' bubbler (waiting on delivery right now) and am looking forward to more AG mashes.
Having never used a bubbler its been a big help going over threads on this site.
Westshine

equipment: 4" x 4 plates, 4" Pot / Whiskey dome - 100ltr boiler

Re: Stepping it up

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Welcome to AD Westshine.

I reckon you're going to love that bubbler when it turns up.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Firstly welcome to the forum for another westy ,check out the running bubbler thread for plenty of info.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by hillzabilly on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby dans.brew » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:28 pm

Welcome Westshine!
I'm hearing ya with the long spirit runs... from someone who started with a 2" pot as well. You will love being able to comfortably do a spirit run in an arvo without having to rush around trying to get done.
Good luck with your new toy when it arrives! :dance:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Westshine » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 pm

New system up and running, 100ltr boiler 2 x 3kw elements, 4" x 4 plates.

A few issues, the RC doesn't have enough water flow/cooling power to stop product from coming over to PC. I'll seperate the RC from PC supply and run a seperate water pump to see if I can sort it out. A couple of small leaks that where easy to fix and the first run was a cleaning run, so giving it a go with 100ltrs tomorrow night for the first drinkable batch.

The red hose runs into the far left tank just for the photo it wasn't connected. Two water tanks hold ~400ltrs, for the first run I put 50ltrs into the boiler and ended up only slightly warming up the far left tank of water. So I'm thinking both cooling tanks will be enough to run a full boiler of 100ltrs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Westshine

Postby mattyb » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 pm

Wicked set up. You may find that you will need more water for the cooling. I run a 1000 litre ibc now as the 200 litre just got too warm too quick , that may explain why your Rv isn't keeping up too. Are you turning off 1 element after she gets up to temp
mattyb

equipment: 4" Glasser

Postby Westshine » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:13 am

Yeah I turned off the high element and also turned down the other one slightly to slow it up. I even tried to cut back the PC flow and that helped a little, so may just be a water flow issue. The submersible I bought is rated at 2,200 with 2m head, but it doesn't look like it's pumping anywhere near that.

Running it again tonight.
Westshine

Postby YarraRanges » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:21 pm

With 4 plates and no packed section you'll find that you cannot get rid of the fore shots. I had to go to 8 plates with a 50 litre boiler to reliably get rid of the fores and it takes 3 litres before it gets into the good stuff. I now have 14 plates that get into azeo nearly every run. Get a packed section above your 4 plates and you'll be able to get a very clean product.
Last edited by YarraRanges on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Postby Lowie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:13 pm

YarraRanges wrote:With 4 plates and no packed section you'll find that you cannot get rid of the fore shots. I had to go to 8 plates with a 50 litre boiler to reliably get rid of the fores and it takes 3 litres before it gets into the good stuff. I now have 14 plates that get into azeo nearly every run. Get a packed section above your 4 plates and you'll be able to get a very clean product.

Sure you don't mean heads?
14 plates will definitely get you azeo. got a pic of that bad boy?
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm

With those thin lines ,I would add another blue line from the pump so the PC and RC each have their own supply line and valve ,add another return so you can monitor both easily and separately,this should improve flow up to 50%.So from pump to at least 19mm hose for a foot or two then a tee with valve opening back into the coolant tank wich can take the pressure off the pump when less flow is needed then another tee for your supply lines.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:38 pm

Just stick a rain water tank outside of a decent size and wait for nature to take it's course. once full just use that as your cooling water with a return pipe.

Thats what I do with mine a 1" pipe from a 5,000 gal tank to a 12 volt DC Flojet pump, bought a cheap speed controller off fleabay for under $10 and it just works a treat.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Rolls912 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Lowie wrote: got a pic of that bad boy?

:text-+1:
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 pm

The other thing ta look at is with those air line valves ,these are made for use with a fair amount of pressure and the internal size may be quite small and restrictive ta water flow under lower pressure,with valves having at least the same internal size as the hose being able to flow better with the same pump size,every elbow will also cost flow .cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby clintonb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:31 am

Lowie wrote:got a pic of that bad boy?

:text-+1: :text-+1:
Last edited by clintonb on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
clintonb

equipment: 118L SS boiler with a copper 4 Inch, 8 bubble plated column and a 650mm packed section complete with a carterhead and gin basket.
35L SS boiler with a copper 2 Inch pelican pot and gin basket.

Postby Westshine » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Thanks guys, defiantly will be changing the water lines. The ones I have now came free with the kit, I must admit it was a bloody cheap system so I'm not complaining.
I ran my first 100ltr fill on Friday night, apart from not being able to hold product from coming over I did manage to keep it at a slow rate to clear the fores and heads. Increased slightly for hearts production and into tails. I'm quite amazed at the smell of dog breath in the tails. Previously using a small 2" reflux I would run it till it's stopped producing and never really hit "tails' in a reflux system. But in this setup has a distinct tails section and the ABV drops down to about 70% before I turn it off.
The cooling system is at it's limit, the first drum heats up to ~45 deg and the first drum to 34 deg. I don't really won't to take up any more space so will keep a few blocks of ice handy for the next run.
Just put 200ltrs of FFV down today and will run it next week, then onto AG! Will also invest in a packed section, will run AG with no plates. Ordering some 20ltr oak barrels and will see what I can make with that.
Westshine

Postby db1979 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:54 pm

In order for your RC to function reliably, you need to maintain cooling water temp. Otherwise, your reflux ratio changes constantly. If you don't want to take up more space, consider either 1. Using town water for the RC only as it only needs a very small flow for most of the run and it can be used on your garden/lawn. Only problem is that anyone else using water in your house may impact the flow or 2. Use a car radiator or repurposed aircon unit to cool the water. Downside to radiator is a bit of noise, aircon will increase electricity costs significantly. I use a twin fan car radiator and get by with about 20 L of water. Water temp is nice and stable, so reflux ratio is too. Aircon or radiator can sit above your drums, or even replace them altogether. Not sure who, but someone else on here repurposed an old aircon with good results.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Westshine » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:49 pm

Hi DB, I've now run the still 4 times and it seems the cooling is the biggest issue. The 2 valves that came with the still where hopeless, they had too much restriction so offered little water flow. I ditched them and picked up some 1/2" ball vales, they worked well but only ended up increasing the cooling water tempt too much. I like the radiator idea, will research out something perhaps drop into a wreckers later this week. I don't want to use any more space, the wife isn't too happy with the water drums I have now. Installing a rain water tank isn't an option and using mains water is far too wasteful. Unless someone else has any new idea's the car radiator is going to be my next port of call.

I'm getting about 92% off the still running at about 1.5ltrs per hr and only 85% of power on one element. I've ordered a 300mm stainless spool to shove some copper packing into, maybe get another 1%. I'm guessing this sits on top of the last bubble plate before the RC?

Would have responded earlier but my bad attitude got me put into the sin bin.
Westshine

Postby db1979 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:46 am

Packed section is best above plates and below RC, just as you guessed.

If going radiator, you'll either need to run it from a battery or a 12V DC transformer. Mine is a twin fan radiator and one 25A 12V transformer isn't enough to run both fans so I run each fan from its own transformer. Got the radiator for $50 from the wreckers and the transformers from an online supplier for less than $20 each. Transformers combined draw about 300 W electricity. Someone else on here runs a single fan radiator off a battery.

Good luck
Last edited by db1979 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:58 pm

I have an old air cond unit I gutted the compressor from ,has a great fan inside but I found running water thru the narrow copper tubes that were in the condencer did not work for elements over 1500-2000wt.But you could mount a car radiator to it very easily and its quiet too,was going ta ditch it but ya more than welcome ta have it for nothin as your a yocal.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby YarraRanges » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Lowie wrote:Sure you don't mean heads?
14 plates will definitely get you azeo. got a pic of that bad boy?

After doing a distilling course with the Federation Uni, fores means anything before the hearts. There seems to be so many different definitions I gave up so that's what I use.
Can't show a pic as it isn't a 5 star still.
Because I have an 2.4 meter shed with a 3 metre ridge I've had to run a windowed bubbleplate, then 2 x 100mm sections with bubbleplates then repeat up to the reflux condenser.
I regularly get azeo with the TPW spirit runs. The neutral is beautifully clean.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Next

Return to Welcome Centre