Hi from Grumpy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Howdy, guys, after an (enforced) absence of a year or so, I'm back in action , but regard myself as a newbie. I successfully made 2 TPW washes back then, they worked great. This time its NOT working great, and the TPW threads appear locked to new topics, so I didnt know where to go for help. Hope I'm not in breach by airing my dilemna here.

I'm into day 5 of my wash, and it hadnt worked like before, despite following the tried and tested recipe I used before. On day one, I finished up adding more Lowan's dried yeast which improved activity a bit. Day 2, I repeated this, again with a slight improvement. Day 5, I now have some blistery bubbles on the surface, but not like before. Running it at 28-30 degrees.

CONFESSION: The can of Lowans was 12 months old, and had not been refrigerated as it had not been opened. Woolies keeps it at room temp.
The Leggos was one month past "best before". Before you throw rocks, I confess to being a 75 yo geriatric.
My question is: bought some new Lowans yesterday (unrefrigerated from Woolies)
I suspect my problem is due to the old yeast which had been store in a hot (in summer) iron shed......... could I possibly save this wash by adding the fresh yeast to it now? Or should it go down the drain? I suspect the latter, but hope not.
cheers, Grumpy, getting grumpier by the minute. I hate failures.
Grumpy

equipment: Air Still & 25L Fermenter

Re: Hi from Grumpy

Postby bluc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:39 pm

I keep my dried bread yeast in the hot shed also. Maybe a bacterial infection, have you done a gravity reading to make sure its not finished?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Welcome back grumpy, as bluc said gravity reading will help or taste it to see if it’s still sweet or tastes like a dry Chardonnay (tomato flavoured)
How big was the wash? 25L. 50L?
And did you dissolve the sugar before adding it? I find it takes longer for me if I don’t.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby woodduck » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:37 pm

G'day mate :greetings-waveyellow: welcome back.

Don't throw it away mate it will be fine if the yeast didn't work just throw more in but make sure it's not finished first as the blokes have mentioned above.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Lowie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:20 pm

woodduck wrote:G'day mate :greetings-waveyellow: welcome back.

Don't throw it away mate it will be fine if the yeast didn't work just throw more in but make sure it's not finished first as the blokes have mentioned above.

G'day Grumpy. Wot he said mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Return to Welcome Centre