G'day

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day

Postby Fatguts » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:16 am

I've been lurking around here for a while and thought id better say G'day. I live south of Adelaide near the McLaren Vale wine district but I really dont like wine...I prefer spirits, mainly whiskey and rum. I've got a T500 that I have used for about 5 years and have been reasonably happy with it using TPW washes. On a recent holiday to Hawaii, i went on a distillery tour in Maui and after leaving the tasting room I decided I could do so much better than the T500, so now im in the process of building a pot still. So far only collected the copper pipe and built a shotgun condenser but im still a fair way off being finished. Im a keen fisherman, pistol shooter and Mopar fan. Work as an Arborist but ill be 50 this year so really need a less physical job. No kids and no wife but have a cool girlfriend that also likes whiskey and rum. Cheers.
Fatguts

equipment: 4", 4 plate glasser and a 2" all copper reflux still with a 2 meter packed column, 500 mm shotgun condenser and homemade parrot, all sitting on a 50 litre upside down beer keg boiler with 2 X 2400W elements.

Re: G'day

Postby Sam. » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:00 am

Welcome mate, have you checked out Mclaren Vale Distillery and Fleurieu Distilling at Goolwa?

Both are whisky distilleries worth a look at :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:05 am

G'day mate and welcome aboard.

Nothing like a good home distilled whiskey, way better than any cordials I've tried :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good luck with the build.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:42 am

Welcome to AD Fatguts.

Good luck with your pot still build. Remember, we love build pictures!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Fatguts » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Sam. wrote:Welcome mate, have you checked out Mclaren Vale Distillery and Fleurieu Distilling at Goolwa?

Both are whisky distilleries worth a look at :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks. Ive heard of both of them but am yet to visit. Id completely forgotten about them so you have just given me something to do on my next lazy day off. Cheers.
Fatguts

equipment: 4", 4 plate glasser and a 2" all copper reflux still with a 2 meter packed column, 500 mm shotgun condenser and homemade parrot, all sitting on a 50 litre upside down beer keg boiler with 2 X 2400W elements.

Postby Fatguts » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:02 pm

Professor Green wrote:Welcome to AD Fatguts.

Good luck with your pot still build. Remember, we love build pictures!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Thanks Professor. I did take a few as I was building them so ill post them up in the appropriate section.
Fatguts

Postby Lowie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:19 pm

G'day Fatguts. Welcome. the T500 is a good place to start, but like you said, need to step it up.
Don't mind the Mopars myself. Dad had an E38 and my brother had a VC Pacer. I'm the black sheep, did my time at the General and cruise around in an FJ and am known to frequent the Vale for a day out but I go to the breweries. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Return to Welcome Centre